+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 215 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Fallout

Fallout

Well I'll tell you, my first guy was Hardcore. He's like lvl 26 now and I wanted to take a break from his world. There's very little to do but the main quest and I hate the main quests.
    New Vegas is of course set up to be much harder (I just heard that as opposed to F3's 25 skill books, NV has only 4 per skill (except for that one quest where you're rewarded with a Science book). No wonder I explode with jubilation when I find a skill book.) and it requires more thought and sacrifice to make a good character. So I felt like making a rebellious "Fuck it." Melee guy...Melee/Unarmed 'cause I've found way more cool M/U named weapons than named guns. I hate to have to sell a set of spiked knuckles called
    "Recompense of the Fallen" ? Nutty spiked knuckles.

So I made a guy who looks like he has tribal warpaint on, just so it'd look cool in the mouth of a wolf's head hat, which I'd finally be free to wear for fashion reasons, and shamefully, I gave him 9 Strength, 9 Endurance, 9 Agility...1 Charisma, etc.
    I ended up wandering into the Fiend territory, where I got the named golf club which does too much damage, so, I was blown away at how much people who don't play on Hardcore, are gypping themselves. It's like, "Where's the 'game'?" Even if I did get fucked up, I'm never more than a short jog from a magical dirty mattress.

So I'm just killing, killing, leveling up and up in no time...with Boone and ED-E, my only job is to run toward red dots, so they can shoot at the red dots. I'm sad, "The magic is gone. I don't even feel like playing this. I can't believe it. "

Then sKaerP0w, it looks like the 4th of July! Green and red lights flying everywhere, into night sky. And I notice that I'm almost dead. WTF?
    Well, I got cocky and I was running toward some red dots without checking for red dots on the left and right of me. I ran us right into that wrecked vertibird and there are the tons of hardened sentrybots and Mr. Gutsys my friend told me about. (She wouldn't shut up about how cool the prototype Tesla Cannon is there. And I agree, I love it's cozy, golden glow...reminds me of when I'd stare into the toaster as a child.)
    Cocky me, I set out with nothing but my golf club...and Boone/ED-E were rendered unconscious quickly.

That was one of the coolest Fallout fights ever, there's that deep gully and the hills, and what seems to be 10 or 12 mighty robots, they knocked me over and they were running over me, swarming me like a piranha feeding frenzy and I got up just in time to pump drugs/stimpaks...I took more stimpaks there than my Hardcore guy has in his entire career...but the best part was, of course V.A.T.S. is of no use with that many robots...and all I had was a golf club...so I'm desperately running around whacking the shit out of these hellish robots with a golf club while the whole screen is lighting up with torrents of green plasma and waves of blood and red laser light, like Christmas.

Whack, Whack, Whack, Whack, Whack, Whack, Whack, Stimpaks, Whack, Whack, Whack, Whack, Whack, Whack, Whack, Stimpaks, haha, my mint condition Nephi's Golf Driver was just short of destroyed. Actually that would have been cool if it had been, I would have been bare-knuckle punching a small army of metal gorillas and floating octopi.
    Anyway, those robots attacked just in time. I played F3 every day for 2 years and was already bored of NV ? Devastating.
    |\___/|
    | " " |
    ,===__/( \ / )\__===,
    / """ (") """ \
    / " \
    | \_____= =_____/ |
    ,==._/ /\ /^\ /\ \_.==,
    | _ __/" \ |] [| / "\__ _ |

Good post.

Wilhelm, I'm intrigued when you say that outside of the main quest there isn't much to do??

In Fallout 3 there was plenty to do.

You think in New Vegas they've kind of skipped over a lot of the side content (which is basically a big part of what makes Fallout Fallout) ?

No no no. I am such a sidequest fan, that at this time, I have done almost all the tons of side stuff, so that, for me, now, there isn't much to do but the main quest.
    NV is sidequest city, yo. I just done 'em.
    |\___/|
    | " " |
    ,===__/( \ / )\__===,
    / """ (") """ \
    / " \
    | \_____= =_____/ |
    ,==._/ /\ /^\ /\ \_.==,

Yeah, the main storyline isn't that great until you get into Vegas, and even then, I wish you could play the sides more, rather than just chose one group to side with.

Right now I'm using a save from before I got to "POINT OF NO RETURN!!!" to do side missions, and I'm coming across tons. I haven't found that vertibird, but I saw it on my map (I got the Explorer perk).

I actually am kind of disapointed by hardcore mode, though. Except my final mission, I rarely get crippled. I think I'm going to not have any companions my next playthrough, which should help. Also, the packrat perk makes ammo weigh almost nothing, so thats another thing taking away from the difficulty.

I do enjoy NV alot, and I doubt there is another game this year that I will play as much of (over 35 hours right now), but yeah, its not F3.

Yeah it was whole different game before I found out how fucking easy it is to get ED-E/Boone.
    I hate Explorer 'cause I really should get it with the first guy so that subsequent guys may benefit/I can get the trophy...but a perk every other level? I can not bring myself to take one that doesn't help me survive.

Regarding Hardcore, I could see it being disappointing, until you play a non-Hardcore game and see the contrast. Whoa, it's like swimsuit model and a mannequin.
    Last edited by Wilhelm; 11-05-2010 at 06:07 PM.
    |\___/|
    | " " |
    ,===__/( \ / )\__===,
    / """ (") """ \
    / " \
    | \_____= =_____/ |
    ,==._/ /\ /^\ /\ \_.==,

That may be my issue with HC. I haven't played a Fallout game for the first time in awhile. After I beat F3, I made new characters who I had follow different rules, so having rules forced on me doesn't seem that different. After playing through once and realizing "WHY CARRY WATER, JUST GO TO GOODSPRINGS LOL!", yeah, that will stop.

I love that you can take 30 dirty waters, some pitchers, a pressure cooker, some tubing and some Radaway and make your own purified water. That is sweet.
    In non-hardcore, 30 purified waters have no value, just a few bucks.
    |\___/|
    | " " |
    ,===__/( \ / )\__===,
    / """ (") """ \
    / " \
    | \_____= =_____/ |
    ,==._/ /\ /^\ /\ \_.==,

There is a town (and I cannot remember the name right now) close to the Legion outpost in the southeast that is full of radiation. Inside the fire station there are dozens upon dozens of "irradiated water" bottles. I gave them all to ED-E to hold on to (he actually holds all my water/food/drugs except for stimpaks). I wish ED-E could be told to not attack ever, so I could just have a hovering safe follow me around.

I'm never playing this on casual ever. btw is it true your followers eat stuff you leave in the fridge at the Lucky 38? Coz I'm all the way near the bad guyses fort and I left a lot of water and stuff behind with Veronica.

Quote Originally Posted by ben View Post
    I wish ED-E could be told to not attack ever, so I could just have a hovering safe follow me around.
    Yeah, that's why I love him. I call him my floating fridge.
    At least you don't have to have a convo to make him wait before you enter a battle.
    I have to make him wait outside the Mojave Outpost 'cause after many visits, suddenly they all started freaking out and shooting him. Haha
    |\___/|
    | " " |
    ,===__/( \ / )\__===,
    / """ (") """ \
    / " \
    | \_____= =_____/ |
    ,==._/ /\ /^\ /\ \_.==,

+ Reply to Thread