+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 1384 FirstFirst 123412521025021002 ... LastLast

Thread: Comics

where did you see the dc documentary? is it the one called DC secret origin? i heard it came out on the 9th but no one has it
    Sparkle is still a faggot.

Yeah, I rented it on my PS3.
    I don't recommend it to a comic fan.
    It's made for people who know nothing about comic history.
    It was grueling. I was hoping to see interviews with famous creators.

Creator-wise, worth seeing:
    • Louise Simonson weeping like a pathetic fucking baby while talking about the Death of Superman
    • Pictures of Grant Morrison with a thick mop of hair and 3.5 seconds of him being interviewed.
    • Alan Moore looking like the biggest douche, as they obligatorily gloss over real quick, "Yeah, finally, with Watchmen, I had a comic I could, like, show to my professor! It was like, literature." ( wOw! Never heard that exact sentence said before! )
    • mind-blowingly pristine, musta been hella digitally enhanced, home movies of the two Jews who started DC comics and the two Jews who created Superman....if...watching 4 foot tall Jewish nerds stand in their front yards with their hands in their pockets, smiling, sounds, fun...
    • Awesome Julie Schwartz bragging, with a chuckle, that he not only saved DC, he also saved Marvel...by getting rid of the prissy Justice "society" and turning into a "league"...'cause kids don't care about "societies", they like baseball leagues, football leagues...( I had never not once made the connection between The Justice League and a Baseball League. )
    • Lots of sweet pics of Jenette Kahn, wh00! M.I.L.F. city.
    • Lots of tiny old Jews with orange teeth, finding different ways to tell us that they were fucking dweebs so they just wrote and drew about big, strapping, handsome heroes who were rich and successful and didn't get tongue-tied around women.
    • In case you haven't gotten enough face time with Mark Waid, about how DC comics are both better than Jesus and better than sex...tons and tons of Mark Waid, explaining to us, what a comic is, telling us about Seduction of the Innocent ( story nevuh gets old ), why comics are fun, why comics are important...
    • Oh, and Neil Gaiman totally jinxing it by predicting that books will not survive, but he is 100% sure that whatever the format is, in 100 years, kids will be anxious to find out what Superman's up to. Jinxed. He also said Oasis is going to be the next Beatles.

Other than that, if you:
    • are hazy on what the Golden, Silver, Bronze and Modern ages of comics are...
    • want to know who created Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman,
    • are excited to hear people explain that, in the 80's, Frank Miller brought a dark, adult edge to Batman with The Dark Knight Returns
    • would like to learn more about how Marv Wolfman is now a hideous revenant zombie with AIDS
    • 'd like to see Neil Adams tell you about how, like, bold it was, how they had an old Black man confront Green Lantern and go, "Ah hurrd yoo dun a lot fo' them purple-skinned people and them green-skin peoplez, but when yoo gonna help the BLACK-skin people? Cracka?" and how Green Arrow found out Speedy was a JuNkIe?!?!?

Then it's the show for you.
    Last edited by Wilhelm; 11-12-2010 at 08:48 PM.
    |\___/|
    | " " |
    ,===__/( \ / )\__===,
    / """ (") """ \
    / " \
    | \_____= =_____/ |
    ,==._/ /\ /^\ /\ \_.==,
    | _ __/" \ |] [| / "\__ _ |

American Shit for Brains Sandman's Avatar
    People always get The Seduction of the Innocent story wrong.
    Gimme Shelter

Which part?
    |\___/|
    | " " |
    ,===__/( \ / )\__===,
    / """ (") """ \
    / " \
    | \_____= =_____/ |
    ,==._/ /\ /^\ /\ \_.==,

American Shit for Brains Sandman's Avatar
    Wertham's motivations, what the book actually says (very few people who talk about it have ever read it, I've only read excerpts because the book is insanely expensive and its one of those books that people take out of libraries for the purpose of burning it), and they never mention that Wertham changed his mind a few years after the Senate Hearigs and actally came to the conclusion that comics could be either good educational tools or at least came to respect the art form if never coming to terms wth the contet.
    Last edited by Sandman; 11-12-2010 at 10:59 PM.
    Gimme Shelter

mmmm
    |\___/|
    | " " |
    ,===__/( \ / )\__===,
    / """ (") """ \
    / " \
    | \_____= =_____/ |
    ,==._/ /\ /^\ /\ \_.==,

you crushed my dreams wilhelm

i already saw most of that stuff in the 2 part history channel documentary anyways

ok...so, the new Acme...

"LINT".

It's rough stuff.

This is ostensibly a further entry in the Rusty Brown serial, but its really an excuse for Ware to do another of his character studies/explorations/dissections/autopsies. In this issue: Jordan(Jason)Lint, a character who went to high school with Rusty Brown, and who we saw in previous Rusty issues for a few panels.
    In terms of formalism, Ware delivers as usual. His page layouts, type treatments, and color work are all solid and expand his palette a bit,, and he does some uncharacteristically surprising things at certain points that i won't mention here, but you'l know when you see'em.
    In terms of content, its a depressing freight train. That could be said for all of his stuff, but i found this more depressing than usual, in part because of the speed at which the story rushes by. We see him run into Rusty for a brief moment, and that's about all we've got to tie it into the bigger arc (will Rusty get collected into a long hardcover once it's complete? will this be included? i dunno).
    Ware elevates the 'story' slightly with some third act curveballishness, but its still pretty rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrhhh teeth clenching relentlessness.

So, i mean, as an art object, we worth it. As another edition to Ware's library, same. As a story? well, it's not a story. not really. this definitely fits square into the diagrammatic subdivision of his stuff, and i was really hoping he'd be pushing more into story territory. but the worst Ware comic is usually richer than a dozen respectable comics. so, yeah.
    Last edited by maxwell's demon; 11-12-2010 at 11:40 PM.

Has anyone read "Scalped?"

Kind of like...The Departed on an Indian Reservation. It was interesting. The story was kind of predictable and by-the-numbers, but it was a fun read. Violent, filthy and dark. Very Vertigo.

I wouldn't recommend buying it, but if you get a chance to pick it up, go for it.
    bloot

didn't know you read comics

ever read Y the last man?

+ Reply to Thread