+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 1384 12311511015011001 ... LastLast

Thread: Comics

American Shit for Brains Sandman's Avatar

Comics

The thread for comics of all kinds. Spandex, small press, even the Sunday funnies (except for Marmaduke, seriously keep that shit away). Let's start with:

New Perry Bible Fellowship!

Really, not his best work. I liked his strip in the last issue of Strange Tales II better, but its always nice to see the site updated since it happens so rarely now.

Next up:

Vattu by Evan Dahm. If you guys haven't read Rice Boy and Order of Tales yet, you really owe it to yourself to do so. They're free online and are some of the most beautiful comics of the past few years. Dahm's fantasy world building and theological allusions are Tolkienesque (except since he's illustrating the stories they just look beautiful and breathtaking instead of getting bogged down in pages of meticulous description) and his lines, colors, and compositions are elegant and understated in a way that allows them to creep up on you and blow your mind. Vattu is his newest comic, and he updates it slowly so its best to read it in chunks and build up a queue for yourself but its definitely worth it.

Finally:

The Nerds of Paradise

Dale Beran, one half of the team behind arguably the best comic ever, is now writing and drawing a new comic that recaptures some of the haunting surreal qualities of A Lesson is Learned but the Damage is Irreversible. This one updates excruciatingly slowly as well, but is definitely worth a look.

Anybody pick up Bulletproof Coffin last week? I saw it on the shelf when I went in today and did my customary skim through and it looked as awesome as it always does, but I had to choose between that and Strange Tales II and the number of creators on Strange Tales II won out this week. With Batwoman coming out, and a new Orc Stain, and two back issues of RASL to track down, November is going to be a painful month.

nice avatar. i'm gonna try to start doing reviews of my favorite indies in here

Zestful Foam of vengeance Mr Sparkle's Avatar
    Dark Horse released a new "Beasts Of Burden" with Hellboy as a guest star.
    it seems like a minor thing, but after his run on BOB I'd like to see Dorkin tackle something epic in size, I mean, I'm sure he could write a decent superhero and even if Mignola is credited as co-writer seems to me that both Dorkin and Thompson did a great job of bringing Hellboy into the BOB world, so much so infact that, normally non-mignola art kind of jars me out of the story a little because I'm so accustomed to it that when BPRD came out it was a little like a funhouse mirror world, but, even though Thompson almost always keeps it bright, she can portray good dread when she wants to, and all three of them did a wonderful job.
    I'm disrespectful to dirt!
    Can you see I am serious!? Get out of my way, all of you! This is no place for loafers.
    Join me or die. Can you do any less? For lucky best wash, use Mr. Sparkle.

Yeah, I read the preview for it on the Dark Horse site. God Jill Thompson is incredible, and between her and Dorkin they nailed the delivery. Unfortunately I couldn't find it at my shop, and my wallet is already crying out in agony this month.

Zestful Foam of vengeance Mr Sparkle's Avatar
    oh, Parker "The Outfit" is super-great-awesome.
    I got it as a gift a few weeks ago and just around to reading it. moody as always and the art is fantastic, has the real deal period feel, and you have to ask why a movie about the character wasn't made before "oayback" which wasn't a really good adaptation of Parker.
    I'm disrespectful to dirt!
    Can you see I am serious!? Get out of my way, all of you! This is no place for loafers.
    Join me or die. Can you do any less? For lucky best wash, use Mr. Sparkle.

actually a few were made before payback, i think

New England Webcomics Weekend was pretty awesome.

Superman Earth One was way better than I expected. I hope they do a #2
    Sparkle is still a faggot.

New ACME Novelty Library out today!
    Gimme Shelter

Has anyone said this?
    I can save Wonder Woman.
    Eventually with all heroes, a point comes where people have to "get back to basics"...they "reconnect" with what made the character great in the first place.
    Everyone acts like Wonder Woman started on the Super Friends. They forget, when Wonder Woman started, it was a softcore, titillating bondage rag.
    It was just Wonder Woman getting tied up, or tying up men, or other women...as the dude said on the DC documentary I watched last night,
    "When I say it was 'frequent', I'm not saying someone got tied up, like, every issue. I'm saying, like, every page."

Recast Wonder Woman as a virtuous, patriotic heroine, who, darn it, keeps getting hogtied and chained spreadeagle to the front of giant pink rocket, who has to keep binding villains and slapping them when they don't answer questions. Mega-hit on your hands. :lspgentleman:
    |\___/|
    | " " |
    ,===__/( \ / )\__===,
    / """ (") """ \
    / " \
    | \_____= =_____/ |
    ,==._/ /\ /^\ /\ \_.==,
    | _ __/" \ |] [| / "\__ _ |

+ Reply to Thread