+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Panther (2018)

Black Panther (2018)

This was a really well produced superhero film. It was the first time in a while where I wasn't feeling too hung up on the paint by numbers storytelling that Marvel has so efficiently employed. I know I might get some backlash here but it was so refreshing to see a story from a completely different cultural perspective both from a pan-African one and also having really strong female characters that were never truly in the male gaze. (I don't think this was completely hundred percent avoided but it definitely allowed the females to have their own strong parts.) The acting was also a really strong aspect of this film and it was great to see a really strong ensemble cast of under represented actors who get to shine in a film where they're not being overshadowed by white people. (Come at me bro!) But as always, Forrest Whittaker turns up as a gruff messenger, still looking as tired and melancholy about being Forrest Whitaker as he ever does.

The film allowed you to invest in the characters, especially the secondary ones and although I would have liked to have seen more of him; Killmonger was a great villain perhaps criminally underused in parts. This was a slick action flick that utilised a completely new take on what we have seen before even though it did venture into similar territory by the third act. As always, Marvel gives you what is expected with lots of vehicle, on land battles and one on one showdowns that lead to where you probably think it's going to.

Overall, I thought this was a solid 8/10 and I'm looking forward to seeing a sequel
    Last edited by The Amazing Lee; 02-13-2018 at 09:33 PM.

Seeing this on Thursday, can't wait. How many after credits scenes?
    It's all in the 'stache

Quote Originally Posted by Mee View Post
    "oh I wouldn't want to go there. They're fighting in the streets there. BLACK LIVES MATTER. BLACK LIVES MATTER. *fist pumping* THAT'S what they're saying there."

Cool.

For some reason I was thinking we'd get three, what with this being the lead up to Infinity War and all
    It's all in the 'stache

Without really spoiling anything, this could easily be a stand alone film without any prior knowledge of any of the other movies.

Yea they recap the death of his fatha
    "oh I wouldn't want to go there. They're fighting in the streets there. BLACK LIVES MATTER. BLACK LIVES MATTER. *fist pumping* THAT'S what they're saying there."

Quote Originally Posted by The Amazing Lee View Post
    I can confirm this.
    You shut your mouth, colonizer

I don’t need confirmation. I saw the movie.

What's wrong with 'male gaze', fucking dudes are constantly topless in Marvel films. Arrow is constantly topless in the Arrow tv series. I don't care. That shit doesn't bother me. I don't understand this recent trend that there's something wrong with an attractive woman in a movie.
    Kaine's comics

'Donate' to the KaineDamo Bitcoin fund: 1EiTw2zBmjgNaKkqoMaEV1QrgcE4ZGsHKT

Quote Originally Posted by KaineDamo View Post
    What's wrong with 'male gaze', fucking dudes are constantly topless in Marvel films. Arrow is constantly topless in the Arrow tv series. I don't care. That shit doesn't bother me. I don't understand this recent trend that there's something wrong with an attractive woman in a movie.
    I never said I had a problem with an attractive woman or an attractive man.

+ Reply to Thread