+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Panther (2018)

Quote Originally Posted by KaineDamo View Post
    What's wrong with 'male gaze'.

I await Nirvana's ranking.
    emperor of DKB or something

What's wrong with 'male gaze', fucking dudes are constantly topless in Marvel films. Arrow is constantly topless in the Arrow tv series. I don't care. That shit doesn't bother me. I don't understand this recent trend that there's something wrong with an attractive woman in a movie.
    Can you remind us again what film school you actually went to?

It's not that you disagree with theory of male gaze, but rather you don't understand it at all.

You can have naked women that is not male gaze. A representation of this is these female warriors in Wonder Woman vs. Justice League. The idea is that women made to be sexual objects for male gratification.

Again feel free to disagree but don't make some straw man argument this about not having atrractive women in movies. (Unless you're really that stupid, but believe it or not, I give you more credit than that.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilhelm
    You're fucking DANGEROUS.

On phone. Apologies for weird grammar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilhelm
    You're fucking DANGEROUS.

Quote Originally Posted by Erzengel View Post
    I await Nirvana's ranking.
    Coming tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butt Savage View Post
    He is everything that's wrong with a movie goer. It scares me that human beings like Nirvana exist and they possibly shape the movie landscape.

I'm not against watching films within the male gaze (I'd probably have a handful of films to watch) but not to understand it properly or understand Laura Mulvey's theory against Freud's psychoanalysis is to really debunk the whole Hollywood system and the cultural lens that we see through as spectators. I teach film studies to college students, so you know, I'd like to think I know a little bit. :??:

Quote Originally Posted by Movies205 View Post
    Can you remind us again what film school you actually went to?

It's not that you disagree with theory of male gaze, but rather you don't understand it at all.

You can have naked women that is not male gaze. A representation of this is these female warriors in Wonder Woman vs. Justice League. The idea is that women made to be sexual objects for male gratification.

Again feel free to disagree but don't make some straw man argument this about not having atrractive women in movies. (Unless you're really that stupid, but believe it or not, I give you more credit than that.)
    It's pretty obvious to me that this is a door that swings both ways in that both sexes are sexualized in media. Women can be filmed in a way that accentuates their sexual attractiveness and so can men and there isn't anything actually wrong with this.
    Kaine's comics

'Donate' to the KaineDamo Bitcoin fund: 1EiTw2zBmjgNaKkqoMaEV1QrgcE4ZGsHKT

It's pretty obvious to me that this is a door that swings both ways in that both sexes are sexualized in media. Women can be filmed in a way that accentuates their sexual attractiveness and so can men and there isn't anything actually wrong with this.
    This is true BUT for every man that is objectified in a film, there are probably hundreds of women that are objectified. Besides, if the male is the main character than surely than the gaze is diverted because it's generally deifying the man in the image that those spectating want to be in. So it's a little bit different. Also, objectifying isn't simply about the showing of flesh, it's about how they are being treated within the film. Specifically this voyeuristic gaze given to the audience allows them to see women as only relevant and important when the protagonists deem them to be and they are generally submissive, whereas we know in many many Hollywood films, the guy is never the submissive one but he dominant one.

This is true BUT for every man that is objectified in a film, there are probably hundreds of women that are objectified.

OK. Marvel:

This character is underage!!

What about the Marvel women? There was this in Guardians:

What else is there?
    Kaine's comics

'Donate' to the KaineDamo Bitcoin fund: 1EiTw2zBmjgNaKkqoMaEV1QrgcE4ZGsHKT

They kept kat denninngs in like 6 layers of sweaters haha
    natalie portman was too serious and rigid a character to appear sexy
    sif never got enough screentime
    pepper only wore that one dress in IM1 where tony was dancing with her, dullsville
    hope van dyne had that awful bowl cut

They all dont matter. Hot marisa tomei aunt may supersedes them all.

Feeling like Katrina with no fema
    Like Martin with no Gina
    Like a flight with no visa
    First class with the seat back I still see ya
    In my past, you on the other side of the glass
    Of my memory's museum

+ Reply to Thread