+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Lackey View Post
    They should've done what Marvel did and had an overarching story control how much freedom each director has on each movie
    Well there definitely is overarching control because why else would they have dumped Jurassic World guy and the Solo directors?

I wonder if the audience/fan reception to Last Jedi has Disney worried about the new trilogy Rian Johnson was announced to do?
    "It was the best of times...it was Tebow Time."

Quote Originally Posted by Mee View Post
    Well there definitely is overarching control because why else would they have dumped Jurassic World guy and the Solo directors?

I wonder if the audience/fan reception to Last Jedi has Disney worried about the new trilogy Rian Johnson was announced to do?
    id be shocked if they still plan on giving johnson the new trilogy. I hate saying but studios should be weary of giving the keys to an entire cinematic universe to the wrong person, we see how bad that can go. Preventing brand damage should be more important than spitting these movies out year after year.

Feeling like Katrina with no fema
    Like Martin with no Gina
    Like a flight with no visa
    First class with the seat back I still see ya
    In my past, you on the other side of the glass
    Of my memory's museum

Quote Originally Posted by equint77 View Post
    Preventing brand damage should be more important than spitting these movies out year after year.
    Kathleen doesn't care one bit about the brand and she would not care one bit if she alienated every single existing fan of Star Wars
    because she is just doing a job...like the people who destroyed Mass Effect, and The Fantastic Four movies,
    and she is obsessed with Gender Politics.

“I have a responsibility to the company that I work with. I don’t feel that I have a responsibility to cater in some way. I would never just seize on saying, ‘Well, this is a franchise that’s appealed primarily to men for many, many years, and therefore I owe men something.'”

She ignores the fact that EVERYBODY has always loved Star Wars...male and female

because she and the female supremacists in her life, did not care much about it

so now, all she sees when she sees "Existing Star Wars Fans", is: "Oh, predominantly MALE Ew!" instead of "Star Wars Fans".

This means that she is actively trying to bring down the "male" Star Wars, but she's only damaging STAR WARS, that was loved by everybody.

My friend (FEMALE) flipped out about Chewie and Leia reuniting after Han was killed, and Leia going to hug Rey instead of Chewie
    and I flipped out on her about "Why didn't you tell me that Han and Leia were broken UP?!"
    She's a fucking woman.
    I'm a fucking man.
    We are fucking Star Wars fans.
    WE, hate what they have done to Star Wars.

You can not take over a brand, and feel that you have no responsibility to cater in SOME way, and expect to just magically steer the brand to success.

The new CEO of Coca-Cola, can not say,
    "Well, in the past, Coke was loved predominantly by people who have a sweet tooth,

but I don't feel like I need to cater to those people, so new Coke will taste like beef broth.

p.s.

~COKE is HOMOSEXUAL (because I am homosexual)~"

It's fucking lunacy

as usual.
    |\___/|
    | " " |
    ,===__/( \ / )\__===,
    / """ (") """ \
    / " \
    | \_____= =_____/ |
    ,==._/ /\ /^\ /\ \_.==,
    | _ __/" \ |] [| / "\__ _ |

there's no story control. The control is just Kathleen Kennedy firing people who aren't yes men.

Would she fire yes women as well? Fair is fair. Equal rights and that cow oprah’s agenda.

Like Martin with no Gina
    Of my memory's museum

Quote Originally Posted by Lackey View Post
    there's no story control. The control is just Kathleen Kennedy firing people who aren't yes men.
    Last Jedi doesn’t strike me as a yes man type of movie
    "It was the best of times...it was Tebow Time."

It was yes if..

do you want to mess with the fans? Yes
    do you want to break continutiy? Yes
    do you want to make it more difficult for the next installment? Yes
    do you want to divide star wars fans? Yes

Like Martin with no Gina
    Of my memory's museum

Last Jedi doesn’t strike me as a yes man type of movie
    If you're thinking about story control, then you're right.

Hey, Jolly Johnny?
    Isn't it weird how I didn't watch this fucking movie,
    but I know more about the people who made it, than you do?

The Women Who Run the ‘Star Wars’ Universe

This is the Lucasfilm story group, and its members hold the keys to everything “Star Wars”:
    Under their guidance, the franchise’s narratives are linked no matter the platform, whether it’s television, games, theme parks, publishing, merchandise or, of course, film.
    With their ideas shaping each character and setting, they don’t see themselves as gatekeepers but as partners furthering the stories their creators want to tell.

Kathleen Kennedy founded the group in 2012 when she succeeded George Lucas as president of Lucasfilm, putting Kiri Hart, a former film and TV writer, in charge of the unit.
    Ms. Hart’s first move was to make the story group entirely female, starting with Rayne Roberts and Carrie Beck.
    Both women had experience in film development but had also worked in other arenas — Ms. Roberts in magazine publishing, and Ms. Beck with the Sundance Institute.

In Los Angeles, before they made the move to the Bay Area, the three women sat around a fire pit in Ms. Hart’s backyard, along with John Swartz, a producer at Lucasfilm, and talked about their hopes for the future of “Star Wars.” They wanted to tell beautiful stories, fulfill the expectations of loyal fans and create meaningful female characters.

“As a writer I was very hungry to create female characters who felt real, and I was interested in telling stories from an outsider’s perspective,” Ms. Hart said, recalling Hollywood in the early 2000s.
    There wasn’t a lot of receptivity to the things I really wanted to write about at the time. I think there is increasing openness to those things now, which makes me really hopeful.”

Look at this shit.
    This is precisely 100% what I'm talking about:

Today, the Lucasfilm story group is a diverse outlier in Hollywood: five of its members are people of color, and the team includes four women and seven men. This is a rarity in 2017, where women account for 13 percent, and minorities represent 5 percent, of all writers working on the top-grossing films. In addition to maintaining the continuity of the “Star Wars” universe, they aim to increase its diversity. This goal has sometimes led to struggles over their female characters.

Early on, the story group fought for the character Ahsoka Tano, a 14-year-old girl created by George Lucas and further developed by the director, producer and writer Dave Filoni. Not initially popular, she had a high, whiny voice and all the self-control of a bratty teenager when she was introduced in 2008 in the animated film and subsequent series “The Clone Wars.” In his review, Roger Ebert called her “annoying,” and angry letters and emails flooded in from fans.

Yet Mr. Filoni and the story group were insistent that there was more to Ahsoka Tano. Even after the series was canceled in 2013, the team would not let her die.

A new, unpublished analysis of “Star Wars” films shows striking progress in their representation of gender and race. Using computer software that analyzes the content of movies, Shrikanth Narayanan and the University of Southern California’s Signal Analysis and Interpretation Lab found that women spoke 6.3 percent of dialogue in “A New Hope,” the 1977 film that kicked off the franchise. In contrast, women accounted for 27.8 percent of all dialogue in “The Force Awakens” in 2015. Even more promising, in “Rogue One” (2016) nonwhite characters accounted for 44.7 percent of all dialogue, a marked increase from zero in the 1977 original.

BEAN-COUNTING

WoW, THAT is truly what it takes to make a memorable, awesome movie.
    Be very, VERY conscious of throwing in more dialogue so dickless characters are yapping more and more.

I mean, I remember, when I was little, Star Wars became my religion
    and it was mainly because...I'd just lay there, dreaming of how thrilling it was when 93% of the dialogue came from people with penises.
    Like, remember? that classic scene? where the male said something to another male?
    And then, you're sitting on the edge of your seat, and like WHOA! then? another MALE does something.
    Wasn't that fucking spine-tingling and wicked-amazing?!
    Except, all of those scenes with Princess Leia? I couldn't really get into those...'cause, she's not male, like me.
    And when my parents let me skip school to go to the first showing of Return of the Jedi at 8am?
    and Lando Calrissian moved his mask,
    I couldn't figure out why everyone was going nuts and cheering at Rock concert levels...
    'cause, like, huh?
    He's BLAck!
    I'M not Black.
    Why would I cheer for Lando?

While writing “The Last Jedi,” the writer-director Rian Johnson moved to San Francisco, spending three months working closely with the story group to develop ideas for the film. Ms. Hart credits Mr. Johnson with the decision to introduce diverse characters for “The Last Jedi.” Of the new cast members, several are women, including Rose Tico, played by Kelly Marie Tran, the first Asian-American women to star in the saga.

The characters that end up on screen are there because there is a groundswell of energy around this idea of creating a more honest reflection of the world around us,” Ms. Hart said, “and it’s coming from people all over the process. That feels miraculous, and really hopeful, not just for ‘Star Wars,’ but for movies in general.”

Fucking nauseating...the characters, are there, because they're not White Males, or, because they are White Male villains or because they are classic characters who have yet to be killed off to make way for more chubby Color People of No-Dick.
    |\___/|
    | " " |
    ,===__/( \ / )\__===,
    / """ (") """ \
    / " \
    | \_____= =_____/ |
    ,==._/ /\ /^\ /\ \_.==,

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Johnny View Post
    And you would know this cuz you saw the movie. You're literally the same as the people you criticize and you have zero self-awareness. Other than the stupid side story this was not sjw-y in any way.
    Hey JJ,

did this chick see the movie?

Are you going to listen to her review and believe her because she's a woman?

Wow, look at this comment.

Star Wars never had a problem with female characters until Kathleen Kennedy sunk her claws into the franchise.Padmé was a young queen and unanimously loved on Naboo and went on to become a galactic senator. Leia was an emotionally tough individual who shocked even Han in their rescue with her attitude and resourcefulness. In the extended universe you have Satele Shan, who was grandmaster of the Jedi order in the old republic. Mara Jade, Luke’s assassin-turned wife. Asaaj Ventress, the multifaceted character who has (and had since her stories were changed in the Disney takeover) a rich story. It’s ridiculous that we get these weirdly flat characters who feel less like people and more like political flyers under Kennedy.

Hmm, another hypocrite with no self-awareness.

I'm trying to figure out if you're just naive, fucking retarded, or if you're actually being dishonest, or what.

Very strange.
    |\___/|
    | " " |
    ,===__/( \ / )\__===,
    / """ (") """ \
    / " \
    | \_____= =_____/ |
    ,==._/ /\ /^\ /\ \_.==,

+ Reply to Thread