+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)

I just thought it was alright. Not great. Probably better than the first film. Perfectly watchable and entertaining but it's no Empire Strikes Back. Some of the pacing and plot decisions were weird to me so I'm just gonna jump straight into nitpicking. Big spoilers -

Spoiler:
    I think there's really a severe lack of context behind certain characters and events. Snoke gets killed by Kilo Ren, Snoke doesn't even see it coming. Who even is Snoke anyway? He's the 'supreme leader', but who was he? Was he an apprentice of Palpatine? Where did he come from and how did he come to take power over the New Order? Do the writers even know or care? If they can't be bothered to develop Snoke in any way then why should anyone care about him as a villain? The New Order - there's still no info at all on how the Empire was able to still have so much power after losing 2 Death Stars and losing their Emperor. What happened? Why weren't the rebels able to capitalize and defeat the Empire for good, or at least severely weaken them? Doesn't make any sense to me and it doesn't look like anybody involved in the writing has any intention of explaining what happened.

The New Order come across insanely incompetent in Last Jedi. They have all the military might in the universe apparently, but spend the entire film chasing ONE rebel cruiser. In Empire Strikes Back, there's multiple Star Destroyers chasing after the Millennium Falcon, but Han uses all sorts of sly tricks to evade them - including flying straight into an asteroid field, or sitting on the blind spot of a Star Destroyer and just floating away with the garbage.

In Last Jedi, almost from the start of the film we see the New Order fleet on the tail of the LAST of the rebels. We're to understand that these are the very very last remaining resistance fighters, all on one cruiser.

That is retarded. They spend DAYS chasing this cruiser and the people on the cruiser don't do anything clever to evade the New Order, other than towards the end they just abandon the ship. We're to believe:

1. None of the crazy big ass ships of the New Order have strong enough weapons to penetrate the cruiser shields at a distance.
    2. None of the ships in the New Order fleet are fast enough to catch up with the cruiser.

That's stupid, I don't buy either of these things. What about the tie fighters? Surely they'd be faster than the Star Destroyers. And I know the Empire/New Order has ships other than Star Destroyers. If they knew they were going on a mission to wipe out the last of the rebels you'd think they'd bring the right tools for the job, including accounting for escape attempts.

So yeah, that's a whole big central premise of the plot that kinda destroys any suspense for me. And when Poe, at the start of the film, faces off against a Dreadnought ship by himself - that's also a suspense killer. They could have shown the Dreadnaught tear through a fleet of X-Wings, only for Poe to be the only one to make it through the firing line to take out the turrets. Instead the scene as it is makes New Order look like dumb-dumbs for not shooting him down when they had plenty of opportunity.

Also; I think instead of having the rebels escape on one cruiser, there ought to have been a fleet. Maybe instead of the last rebels being on a base on a planet, they could have been the last fleet, already on the run from the New Order when the film opens, already in a desperate situation but with more than one fucking cruiser. Show the fleet desperately trying to escape, trying to fight a fight they can't win against greater numbers and superior fire power, so that over the course of the film the fleet whittles down to just one cruiser - that would have made 100 times more sense and would have made for better suspense for sure.

Other than that I guess it was okay. There was one really good moment,

Spoiler:
    When Luke is force-projecting himself to another planet to fight Kilo

That was cool, a stand-out moment in the film.

I thought there might have been a

Spoiler:
    Double-turn. I thought Kilo might turn good and Rey turn bad. And this would have been really interesting take on the whole 'balance of the force' thing.

There should have been more training with Luke and Rey. Not enough going on there.

Anyway you'll all see it soon enough and I look forward to seeing what you thought.
    Last edited by KaineDamo; 12-14-2017 at 04:56 PM.
    Kaine's comics

'Donate' to the KaineDamo Bitcoin fund: 1EiTw2zBmjgNaKkqoMaEV1QrgcE4ZGsHKT

Resisting clicking those spoilers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butt Savage View Post
    He is everything that's wrong with a movie goer. It scares me that human beings like Nirvana exist and they possibly shape the movie landscape.

Most of the time I completely disagree with Kaine so I'm pretty sure that I'll love this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilhelm
    You're fucking DANGEROUS.

I've heard this is absolutely terrible, and theres a scene, which I won't spoil, that had everyone laughing in the theater at how gay it is

All the “funny” parts are cringe as fuck. Slowest chase scene in history. Snoke CGI makes Steppenwolf look like groot/rocket. It has one of my favorite fight scenes in a Star Wars movie. Luke was lame. I liked it because it’s Star Wars but it’s not better than Rouge one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mee View Post
    "oh I wouldn't want to go there. They're fighting in the streets there. BLACK LIVES MATTER. BLACK LIVES MATTER. *fist pumping* THAT'S what they're saying there."

I genuinely don't know how I feel about this movie. I'm normally extremely Star Wars biased but their are so many moments of lazy writing and character liberties that are so bizarre I'm not sure what they were thinking. I'm tired as shit so Im sure I'll have more to say on this later, but this was okay. Laura Dern can still get it, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butt Savage View Post
    He is everything that's wrong with a movie goer. It scares me that human beings like Nirvana exist and they possibly shape the movie landscape.

Huge gif spoiler from a cinema recording watch if you dare

https://twitter.com/ImperatorOfPuns/...53650761486338
    Kaine's comics

'Donate' to the KaineDamo Bitcoin fund: 1EiTw2zBmjgNaKkqoMaEV1QrgcE4ZGsHKT

Quote Originally Posted by ThePoler View Post
    I genuinely don't know how I feel about this movie. I'm normally extremely Star Wars biased but their are so many moments of lazy writing and character liberties that are so bizarre I'm not sure what they were thinking. I'm tired as shit so Im sure I'll have more to say on this later, but this was okay. Laura Dern can still get it, though.
    This is how I felt last night. Woke up, still annoyed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mee View Post
    "oh I wouldn't want to go there. They're fighting in the streets there. BLACK LIVES MATTER. BLACK LIVES MATTER. *fist pumping* THAT'S what they're saying there."

I liked it better than TFA.

I can see why a lot of fans are upset because Luke's portrayal is a little jarring, something he's been vocal about.

But there was a lot of things I did like and how
    Spoiler:
    they handled Luke vs. Kylo and the aftermath
    was better than Han and Kylo in TFA.

Since Poler didn't do a ranking.....

1. Empire
    2. ANH
    3. Jedi
    4. Rogue One/TLJ (I have to rewatch them both)
    5. Sith
    6. TFA
    7. Clones
    8. Menace
    Last edited by Erzengel; 12-15-2017 at 02:45 PM.
    emperor of DKB or something

I've been rewatching all the SW movies this week before seeing Last Jedi. I've watched Ep 1, 2, and I'm halfway through Ep 3, along with TFA and Rogue One.

My ranking as of now:
    (I put notes in where I knew people would scream and yell that I'm crazy to explain my thinking)

1. A New Hope
    (I get that most people love Empire as do I, but literally, the entire blue print for the series comes from this one movie and therefore, I have to put it at the top)
    2. Empire Strikes Back
    3. Revenge of the Sith
    (I like the PT movies... I think Ian McDiarmid performance gets better with every viewing. I love the monsters and the different locals. I also really like Anakin's turn to the dark side. His scenes with Padme are dogshit tho)
    4. Rogue One
    (Hated this first time seeing it. Watched it last night. Amazing weight and depth to the rebellion that really adds a lot to the series. J. Erso 's character sucks balls, but Felicity Jones is great. The last 40 minutes, you could argue is the best action sequence in the whole series).
    5. Return of the Jedi
    6. Phantom Menace
    (This is a hot take fo'sure. But I feel like Phantom Menace is an actual movie and the world it sets up in the PT series is far more fascinating than The Force Awakens so I have to put it avoe.
    7. The Force Awakens
    (I like it. But every passing viewing, it doesn't offer anything new. The entire movie is what I got in the first viewing. And while it's fun and satisfying, I just can't justify putting it too high on the list... Tho, I do really appreciate the cinematography and actors in the movie.
    8. The Attack of the Clones
    (A bland movie that much like Force Awakens try to do too much fan service, but unlike Force Awakens does it in such a clutzy way that most of it doesn't hold up.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilhelm
    You're fucking DANGEROUS.

+ Reply to Thread