+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)

Pretty much nearly everything, hahaha.

Right from the opening scene. The prank call Poe gives to Admiral Hux is even worse the 2nd time. Which is basically a running theme for all of the jokes. They fell flat the first time, they fell even more flatter the 2nd time. Plus it goes on too long. Everyone involved looks stupid. The New Order starts incompetent and are consistently incompetent throughout the entire film.

Luke throwing the lightsaber behind his back - falls flat, and is like a big fuck you to the audience. It's deflating more than anything. And the way Rey lamely chases after him going "Master Luke!" Then NOTHING HAPPENS for like 5 minutes as she just follows him about the island as he hunts fish and drinks alien-seal milk. Every part of the Rey/Luke dynamic is an absolute fucking waste. It's stupid that he's been on this island for so long sulking.

The script is full of little ironies and it's really unsubtle and distracting. The script is full of moments of someone telling someone something, then contradicting themselves a moment later. It happens between Luke and Rey, it happens between Leia and Poe. And when it started happening with Leia and Poe, where Leia is like "you can't just solve every problem by jumping in a cockpit and blowing things up", at that point I decided I wasn't going to stick around for the punchline and I started watching DS9 instead. Plus,

There was still this to come

And the 'Finn needs something to do' subplot hadn't even gotten off the ground yet.

This movie is fucking terrible.
    Last edited by KaineDamo; 03-11-2018 at 02:35 PM.
    Kaine's comics

'Donate' to the KaineDamo Bitcoin fund: 1EiTw2zBmjgNaKkqoMaEV1QrgcE4ZGsHKT

Quote Originally Posted by Mee View Post
    I've been watching DS9 while I draw lately. Season one alternates from "hey this is better than I remember" to "oh that's embarrassing this was on TV."

I've always said it really kicks in gear when Sisko gets facial hair. BUT, DS9 has the best cast so that makes the rocky early seasons still fun. Nobody talks about how annoying of a character Kira is

Yeah, I've always thought that DS9 gets way better once Sisko is bald, once Worf comes into it, and once the Dominion War really starts rolling. There's some dodgy episodes in the first couple seasons.

Though over time my appreciation for the show overall has grown. I think it's aged better than TNG and Voyager. It's got the best premiere episode - that premiere episode is amazing, and sets all the pieces for the overall story and themes of the show.
    Kaine's comics

Yeah I was kind of surprised how much was established in the pilot, rewatching it. It's pretty heavy too, on it's own. Sisko's bitterness (hatred?) towards Picard, all the stuff about his dead wife and the Prophets...it's really intense emotionally.

TNG definitely hasn't aged well. But there are still choice episodes that are top tier sci-fi. I've never really cared for Voyager.
    "It was the best of times...it was Tebow Time."

TNG later seasons are better, but a lot of the older stuff is pretty bad.

It seems the original series has aged better than TNG

Yeah the camp helps I think?

Whenever I think of great Trek episodes though I always think of Darmok from TNG.

Picard's jacket look was legit

wonderful testament to the worthlessness of new Star Wars
    |\___/|
    | " " |
    ,===__/( \ / )\__===,
    / """ (") """ \
    / " \
    | \_____= =_____/ |
    ,==._/ /\ /^\ /\ \_.==,
    | _ __/" \ |] [| / "\__ _ |

King of the Monstars Les Groper's Avatar
    I miss the prequels, at least they had ideas
    You know nothing about film.
    Spoiler:

Nintendo masks their lack of graphic quality with "quirky graphics and characters".
    I can honestly say, if at 19, I was a pro baseball player, I would have exactly 100% fewer broken bats and thrown helmets.
    I could have made a better TDKR
    I feel sad for your inability to just enjoy an entertaining movie without you being critical over it's components.
    Spoiler:
    No one.

Is talking.

About.

Just.

Having.

A.

Gun.

At.

Home.

You.

Are.

Ignoring.

The.

Defense.

Of.

Home.

Aspect.

Because.

It.

Trashes.

Your.

Defense.

So.

You.

Focus.

On.

An.

Arbitrary.

Report.

On.

A.

Pointless.

Scenario.

That.

No one.

Was.

Talking.

About.

That's.

Dishonest.

Too far

Kaine's comics

King of the Monstars Les Groper's Avatar
    As badly executed as it was, they weren’t using some monolithic corporate model to make them. It’s not even an issue of film quality from that perspective. The same can be said for the MCU, but they generally (Edgar Wright notwithstanding) get people who are actual fans of the stories in that universe. I can’t tell with ep 7 or 8 that Star Wars fans with genuine creative passion actually made these.
    You know nothing about film.
    Spoiler:

Nintendo masks their lack of graphic quality with "quirky graphics and characters".
    I can honestly say, if at 19, I was a pro baseball player, I would have exactly 100% fewer broken bats and thrown helmets.
    I could have made a better TDKR
    I feel sad for your inability to just enjoy an entertaining movie without you being critical over it's components.
    Spoiler:
    No one.

Is talking.

About.

Just.

Having.

A.

Gun.

At.

Home.

You.

Are.