+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Coco (2017)

Coco (2017)

Pixar has another Oscar locked, possibly two this year with the song "Remember Me."

I feel like this movie shouldn't be as good as it is honestly with how predictable it is...but yet the art, world building, respect to culture, and music is all incredible that it's hard not to love this. The story is of 12 year old Miguel who lives with his extended family and great grandmother Coco, they all work as shoemakers. Miguel is obsessed with a long deceased singer Erenesto de la Cruz and wants to be a musician, but his great great grandmother (long deceased) hated music and banned it for all her generations. Essentially things go wrong during the Dia de Muertos celebration that results in Miguel being trapped in the afterlife where he meets some of his ancestors. To return to the land of the living Miguel must receive his family's "blessing" which they won't grant since he wants to be a musician. So he must find a way to return home before being permanently stuck in the afterlife.

Yea, this was great. Again, you could figure the story beat by beat and see some of the "twists" coming, but it was still an incredibly fun movie and kind of a tearjerker. Also, growing up in Florida surrounded by Mexicans and living in San Diego surrounded by Mexicans, I have to give this movie a lot of credit for getting a lot of the little details right. The Grandma force feeding tamales, tangerines, little bursts of frustrated Spanish, even some of the facial expressions (This one is kind of hard to explain, but you'll notice if you've ever spent a lot of time with Mexicans) are pretty spot on. So kudos to them.

Toy Story
    Ratatouille
    Toy Story 3
    Up
    Inside Out
    Coco
    The Incredibles
    A Bug's Life
    Monsters Inc.
    Toy Story 2
    Wall-E
    Finding Nemo
    Finding Dory
    Monsters University
    The Good Dinosaur
    Brave
    Cars 3
    Cars
    Cars 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Butt Savage View Post
    He is everything that's wrong with a movie goer. It scares me that human beings like Nirvana exist and they possibly shape the movie landscape.

I thought Coco was excellent, but kind of like Logan, I'm in no hurry to watch it again. Then again I only own 5 Pixar movies. Toy Story 1-3, Incredibles & Wall-E. If I had to, I'd probably buy Ratatouille if I had to.

However, Coco was really, touching, creative and the animation phenomenal.
    emperor of DKB or something

That's interesting, because I really want to see this again and catch more of the details, I'm such a sucker for a catchy soundtrack too. I own all the Pixar movies minus the Monsters movies, Incredibles, and Cars 3 lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butt Savage View Post
    He is everything that's wrong with a movie goer. It scares me that human beings like Nirvana exist and they possibly shape the movie landscape.

+ Reply to Thread