+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blade Runner 2049 (2017)

Blade Runner 2049 (2017)

Blade Runner 2049 is really good, there aren't many big budget films with this amount of care, and you should spend your money to see it.

I'm a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge Blade Runner fan, huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge. I've seen the theatrical cut, director's cut, and final cut gazillions of times. If you've never seen Blade Runner, I recommend the final cut. It's one of the best science fiction films ever made. It's cinematography makes masterful work of shadow and light to evoke film noir. It's set designs are glorious. And it really defined 'cyberpunk' as a genre.

Awesome characters, designs, and performances. The incomparable soundtrack by Vangelis weaves the dreamlike quality of Blade Runner from scene to scene.

I was REALLY wary of Blade Runner 2049. It could go so wrong. The posters were off-putting.

Stupid, over-used colour scheme - fire the poster designer.

The initial trailers made it look like an action flick, and I just haven't really dug Ryan Gosling as an actor. Plus, why? Why do a sequel to Blade Runner? How could you ever match the original? On the surface, to me it seemed like it would just be another in a line of 'soft reboots', that it would be a 'soft remake' of the original, hit the same scenes and notes, but with none of the soul of the original.

I'm happy to say that Blade Runner 2049 stands strong as its own film. It feels like the same world of Blade Runner, we see more of the world and what we see absolutely fits the tone and style. It's plot is original, and while the original is referenced it's not done in a ham fisted way. While I was skeptical of initial screenshots, that showed the original film's lighting is just so much more dense, 2049 is an absolutely gorgeous film with a lot done using practical effects. It's sets are at times like great big art galleries. It's a solid detective story with twists and turns. This is a good fucking film and one of my favourite sci fis in yeeeeaaaaaaars, maybe my favourite sci fi in yeeeeeeeeeeeaars. I definitely want to see it again. I would say it's not even necessary to watch the original in order to watch this one, though you'd have a greater appreciation for certain scenes if you've seen the original.

Blade Runner 2049 actually does Blade Runner proud... and I did not expect that. I was incredibly skeptical.

Criticisms: It feels its length. The soundtrack is good, but it ain't Vangelis. It doesn't have the mystical, dream quality of the original film.

Plus,

This is one of the greatest scenes ever filmed, and no scene in 2049 can touch it

Kaine's comics

'Donate' to the KaineDamo Bitcoin fund: 1EiTw2zBmjgNaKkqoMaEV1QrgcE4ZGsHKT

This film reaffirms that I can't wait to have a hologram/robot girlfriend.
    Kaine's comics

TOO BAD SHE WON'T LIVE!!! BUT THEN AGAIN WHO DOES!!!
    Kaine's comics

I very thoroughly enjoyed this. I do agree, it definitely feels borderline three hours long. Gosling was dope in this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butt Savage View Post
    He is everything that's wrong with a movie goer. It scares me that human beings like Nirvana exist and they possibly shape the movie landscape.

Natural humans deny artificially engineered humans of their humanity, replicants share a similar dehumanising attitude toward AIs programmed to reflect a sense of being human. All of them argue they are real, others even "more human than human," whatever that means... So what exactly is it to be human? How do we define or measure that?

In the scientific sense, to be human means to be a complex biological organism belonging to the species of Homo sapiens, a member of the great ape family. It means to be capable of logical reasoning, abstract thought, learning and using languages and possessing self-awareness.

Quote Originally Posted by KaineDamo View Post
    she's so fucking hot

I loved this movie

The sets, the music, the effects, the acting, the cinematography

Hate that this isn’t blowing up the box office but I get why it’s not. This is a slow burn, it’s long, and it’s a lot of character and world development. The modern popcorn audience can’t take it.
    "It was the best of times...it was Tebow Time."

You feel it too, don't you? Clurk's Avatar
    When they announced they were making the sequel, I was top tier angry. Blade Runner is my favorite movie and the thought of it being tainted by a bad sequel was too real.

The fact that this movie retroactively makes Blade Runner even better is amazing. The same way I need to see Godfather and Godfather Part II, I will forever watch 2049 with the original. Favorite movie of the year and probably my favorite movie of the past 10 years.

This movie was amazingly good. Villenueve is the fucking truth.
    HUNKA HUNKA!

Quote Originally Posted by KaineDamo View Post
    are you fucking kidding me
    wow

+ Reply to Thread