+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IT (2017)

Lightbulb IT (2017)

This has been my most looked forward to movie of 2017. I read the book a few years ago and have read 5 other king books (currently reading Dr Sleep) and IT is possibly my favorite and best SK book ive read so far.

Having said that, maybe my expectations and imagination ran a bit wild on me. I felt it was a good watch and i recommend it however there are a few things i myself felt fell a bit empty. I get you have to cut up a 1200 page book and skip story threads, even whole chapters.

The good:
    the cast of the losers club. All the kids are absolutely amazing here. You really feel how close their friendship and bond is and how funny their interactions are between themselves. It felt part stranger things, part goonies and part lost boys at points in the movie. The town of derry itelf and the house on neibolt street are all how i pictured it in the book so again, good job by the director and crew. They gave eavh kid his own time, including their own backstory and why they are all friends and why they make up the losers club. Some nice throw ins like batman and lethal weapon 2 and nightmare on elm street 5 in the theater marquees. The soundtrack, some good 80's tunes

The bad:
    patrick hocksetter was completely put to the backburner. He showed up and was gone within 10 minutes. For anyone whos read the book knows how completely messed up this character is. I dont know what king was thinking when he came up with this guy haha. Either way he was practically omitted from movie and didnt even get his proper end.
    henry bowers and his gang. They too were a bit shortchained. Aside from what he does to ben and mike we only hear how he torments the rest of the group. Like patrick, i wasnt a fan of henry's conclusion as he has a big role in the second part as the losers as adults.

pennywise. For anyone who's seen the original IT miniseries with tim curry will know how creepy he was. For some reason this modern PW never felt scary or menacing. He showed up where he needed to but it never felt tense. Even at the end when the group is fighting it, it felt more like they were fighting some normal man instead of a million year old supernatural alien being. They also didnt show how they were supposed to defeat IT as kids with the silver.

Again maybe my expectations and imagination went to far because i had built this movie so much in my mind. I was expecting scarier scenes and more gore. Even georgies death wasnt what i had imagined with a rated r movie.

on its own its a good movie and the cast is spot on. All the kids are great, and well played. As far as adapting the book, maybe i needed to see it it with different eyes. My friend watched it friday and loved it and he too read the book. Maybe this kind of story, to really be done as it was meant to be, needs to be like a 5-6 part miniseries on netflix.

On its own 8.5/10

as a fan of the book 7/10

Feeling like Katrina with no fema
    Like Martin with no Gina
    Like a flight with no visa
    First class with the seat back I still see ya
    In my past, you on the other side of the glass
    Of my memory's museum

Quote Originally Posted by equint77 View Post
    For some reason this modern PW never felt scary or menacing.
    They completely fucked it up because most people that make movies, are fucking stupid.

This clown has a pretty babyface.

It's a young guy, and they gave it a big forehead so it looks like a baby.

Clowns are scary because it's an old man acting like a clown.

The people who made this movie, are fucking stupid.
    |\___/|
    | " " |
    ,===__/( \ / )\__===,
    / """ (") """ \
    / " \
    | \_____= =_____/ |
    ,==._/ /\ /^\ /\ \_.==,
    | _ __/" \ |] [| / "\__ _ |

A photo of john wayne gacy is creepier than this version of pennywise.

also, although we did get to see a glimpse of the deadlights, i felt like we could have gotten more. It felt more engulfing in the mini-series.

p

Like Martin with no Gina
    Of my memory's museum

I loved it. It was Stranger Things with the F word.

I re-watched the original IT a few days ago and i fell asleep. it was boring as shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mee View Post
    "oh I wouldn't want to go there. They're fighting in the streets there. BLACK LIVES MATTER. BLACK LIVES MATTER. *fist pumping* THAT'S what they're saying there."

Quote Originally Posted by Goku View Post
    I loved it. It was Stranger Things with the F word.

I re-watched the original IT a few days ago and i fell asleep. it was boring as shit.

The original was ok. The best part is part 1 with the kids. I blame the aduot actors and what theyre left to work with as problems with part 2.

tim curry practically carried that movie.

Like Martin with no Gina
    Of my memory's museum

I watched this on Saturday and not that it's such a high bar but probably the best Stephen King movie since the Shawshank?

I agree that the kids were really good and I still think Curry was the better Pennywise. But having seen the mini series, this is obviously a more polished remake.
    emperor of DKB or something

I still consider The shining is still the top king adaptation, even though it steers way far from the book. Even now people are still trying to pick it apart. One of my all time favorite movies and that end shot of the overlook in 1921 still makes me ask questions.

its a shame a lot of the king stories have been relegated to tv or poorly made. Ill probaly watch dark tower at some point. Im reading the series next year.

Also mr mercades is on tv right now. I need to watch.

Like Martin with no Gina
    Of my memory's museum

I agree with Wilhelm. I never liked who they got for Pennywise or how they did the makeup.

This guy has a certain creepiness in the eyes, but it's a pretty boy, date rapey creepiness

Folks, this Pennywise was truly fantastic. I can't tell you enough how tremendous his casting was for this film. I've told many of my friends that this is the greatest, best adaptation of Pennywise anyone could ask for. Truly incredible.

To those who bash him, you clearly don't like Stephen King novels or good films. Sad!
    HUNKA HUNKA!

Quote Originally Posted by Franny Powers View Post
    To those who bash him, you clearly don't like Stephen King novels or good films. Sad!
    Opinion is subjective, your opinion is now invalid.

+ Reply to Thread