+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power Rangers (2017)

You feel it too, don't you? Clurk's Avatar

Power Rangers (2017)

So let me preface this:

1) I grew up on OG Power Rangers. I have fond memories of seeing the first movie in theaters, I got a MegaZord the first Christmas they came out, etc. I am biased as FUCK with my nostalgia glasses.

2) Ive never seen Chronicle.

3) I was drunk and am still buzzed.

Okay so, this is the ultimate 5/10 movie. The cinematic embodiment of a fast food cheeseburger - I got my empty calories and don't know what else I expected.

It's also one of the most tonally inconsistent movies Ive ever seen. The first hour, Im guessing was supposed to be a Chronicle knock off, which I thought worked well. The situation and setting come off as serious, but the characters keep everything believable by being somewhat self-aware of the absurdity of it all. When I heard the Rangers don't morph til the last hour, I figured the first part would be god awful when ironically it was the best. I also thought they did a pretty okay job using this time to re-introduce the original group with that millennial edge that we see in Mee every day.

The movie shits the fan when Rita appears and starts murdering people. Everything gets super serious, and they basically try to make a lite version of that POWER//RANGERS youtube movie from last year. Literally, Rita cannibalizes people and then Cranston looks in the camera and says "it's Rita... REPULSA" without any self awareness. They even try to squeeze in the whole "kids fighting intergalactic war" statement. It was laughably bad and they honestly should've cut this whole bit out.

Then out of the blue, the movie turns into an episode of Power Rangers. The theme is playing, the Zords are fighting, Rita is making monsters grow. We went from Chronicle to Spooky Rita Horror to Nostalgia Orgasm Movie. I was all smiles this whole part, and I know Im a terrible person for it. Too bad it's only like 30 minutes of the goods.

My main beef is this: the filmmakers really needed more iconic stuff. Hate Michael Bay all you want, but that mother fucker knew to introduce Optimus Prime like it was the second coming of Christ. To kids of the 80s, Optimus Prime and the Transformers showing up was a religious experience. For 90s assholes like me, Power Rangers deserved the finest of shots, and instead were treated like second class citizens. When things were introduced, it felt like "oh yeah shit I guess it's a Power Rangers movie so here they are." I mean the Zords just show up like "hey guys cool, they have giant dino robots I guess.... whatever...." Everything just felt cheap.

But the nostalgia is too strong for me. I am sorry.

Last edited by Clurk; 03-24-2017 at 06:16 AM.

As a long time Power Rangers fan, this saddens me. I knew the movie was going to be "meh," but I didn't want it to be.

I'll still check it out though.
    HUNKA HUNKA!

Quote Originally Posted by Clurk View Post
    Then out of the blue, the movie turns into an episode of Power Rangers. The theme is playing, the Zords are fighting, Rita is making monsters grow.

Last edited by ben; 03-25-2017 at 03:18 PM.
    http://filthysushi.tumblr.com/

"I donít get sick. I donít observe major holidays. Iím a jackhammer.Ē

Quote Originally Posted by Clurque
    I was all smiles this whole part
    Welcome to Ignore, shitbird.
    |\___/|
    | " " |
    ,===__/( \ / )\__===,
    / """ (") """ \
    / " \
    | \_____= =_____/ |
    ,==._/ /\ /^\ /\ \_.==,
    | _ __/" \ |] [| / "\__ _ |

You feel it too, don't you? Clurk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilhelm View Post
    Welcome to Ignore, shitbird.

It seems like it's what I expected. I'm not mad, just disappointed.

Why am I in the universe with a Paul Fieg Ghostbusters(2016) and no Michael Bay Power Rangers?

The greatest power rangers arc was the green ranger story. I also loved how each ranger walked around in everyday life in their ranger colors. Jason was in all red, billy all blue, kim all pink and tommy all green. They made the boy wear green jeans

Feeling like Katrina with no fema
    Like Martin with no Gina
    Like a flight with no visa
    First class with the seat back I still see ya
    In my past, you on the other side of the glass
    Of my memory's museum

Quote Originally Posted by Clurk View Post
    Hahaha, the ending is beautiful.
    |\___/|
    | " " |
    ,===__/( \ / )\__===,
    / """ (") """ \
    / " \
    | \_____= =_____/ |
    ,==._/ /\ /^\ /\ \_.==,
    | _ __/" \ |] [| / "\__ _ |

I loved the first half. Loved the last 30 min. the Rita part was weird. Did you see the end credits scene Clerk? The cameos were good too and I'm totally down for the next 5 movies.

Also, every kid is going to want to be on the spectrum because he was the best one in the movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mee View Post
    "oh I wouldn't want to go there. They're fighting in the streets there. BLACK LIVES MATTER. BLACK LIVES MATTER. *fist pumping* THAT'S what they're saying there."

I read the midcredits scene. Pretty cool

Feeling like Katrina with no fema
    Like Martin with no Gina
    Like a flight with no visa
    First class with the seat back I still see ya
    In my past, you on the other side of the glass
    Of my memory's museum

+ Reply to Thread