+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Logan (2017)

Logan (2017)

Set in the year 2029, an old and withered Logan (Hugh Jackman) lives on an abandoned smelting plant with old spotted-dick Professor Xavier (Patrick Stewart) and mutant tracker Caliban (Stephen Merchant). Logan spends his days driving people around El Paso, TX. His goal is to get away and drive a boat around the world. This is set in a world where mutants are more of a rarity/legend than common people, and a natural mutant birth hasn't happened since 2004.

However, when a woman comes begging for his help to get her daughter (who turns out to be X-23) to safety in Canada, Logan reluctantly is called to assist her, taking Charles with them.

Along the way, they are chased by Alkali's Donald Pierce (Boyd Holbrook, who is the lead in the new Predator film) and the Reavers. The group has a new surprise to help them retrieve the "mistake" that is the young child known as X-23...

Spoiler:
    X-24, a Wolverine clone to the exact specifications of what Logan was when he first was at Alkali long ago. This clone has no human traits/emotions, and can heal much faster than Wolverine did.

This movie was fantastic. I wish there were more R-rated superhero films. Deadpool broke the mold, and Logan followed to top it even more. This is seriously the best X-Men film ever made, without question.

1. Logan
    2. Deadpool
    3. X2: X-Men United
    4. X-Men: Days of Future Past
    5. X-Men
    6. X-Men: First Class
    7. The Wolverine
    8. X-Men: Apocalypse
    9. X-Men: The Last Stand
    10. X-Men Origins: Wolverine

MAJOR SPOILER HERE

Spoiler:
    X-24 impales Logan onto a tree branch during the film's climax. X-23/Laura shoots X-24 in the head with an adamantium bullet... a bullet Logan kept around to kill himself with, due to him slowly dying of adamantium poisoning.

Charles gets killed by X-24 as well.

All the feels. ;_;

Great movie.
    HUNKA HUNKA!

One of my favorite scenes was when they had dinner with the family and they all had a laugh when they talked about the school. And of course that ending.
    Spoiler:
    when logan says "so this is what it feels like and X23 says, daddy

easily the best of the xmen movies, easily one of the best comic movies ive ever seen. Mee mentioned this could be the anti trilogy as it managed to get better with each installment and this movie managed to have everything you would want. I said it in the what youve seen thread and again, this movie was so great it gives me faith we can still get top quality comic based movies. I hope fox gives mangold more opportunties to direct and have learned their lessons now with deadpool and logan.

I got home yesterday and watched X1 for the first time in a long time, and it was great going back and seeing where it all started. Im very happy for hugh Jackman as this was a hell of a way to say bye to his wolverine. Needless to say, i love this film.

Feeling like Katrina with no fema
    Like Martin with no Gina
    Like a flight with no visa
    First class with the seat back I still see ya
    In my past, you on the other side of the glass
    Of my memory's museum

I don't like the "we need more R rated superheroes" thing, no offense to anyone

What works about this movie is the heart and character. The plot might be simple but it's not a movie about plot. Which is also pretty refreshing for a superhero movie. This would have been just as good without the gore and F-bombs.

I loved it. The ending...man

Spoiler:
    when she turns the cross to an X on his grave??? I cried from him impaled on the tree to credits

I hope nobody has this spoiled for them, just watch it. Jackman is the man.
    "It was the best of times...it was Tebow Time."

Quote Originally Posted by Mee View Post

What works about this movie is the heart and character. The plot might be simple but it's not a movie about plot. Which is also pretty refreshing for a superhero movie. This would have been just as good without the gore and F-bombs.

I loved it. The ending...man

Spoiler:
    when she turns the cross to an X on his grave??? I cried from him impaled on the tree to credits

I hope nobody has this spoiled for them, just watch it. Jackman is the man.
    There were a few times they did go overboard with the language hah. Seeing prof x curse was pretty funny. As far as the gore, it wasnt needed but it added to the brutalty that is and should be logan//wolverine. He has 6 knives on his hands so itd be a bigger stretch that he never used (or we ever saw)those claws in extremely violent manners like he has now.

Seeing x23 go mini beserker in the beginning was amazing.

Like Martin with no Gina
    Of my memory's museum

one of da best superhero movies ever

Quote Originally Posted by equint77 View Post
    There were a few times they did go overboard with the language hah. Seeing prof x curse was pretty funny. As far as the gore, it wasnt needed but it added to the brutalty that is and should be logan//wolverine. He has 6 knives on his hands so itd be a bigger stretch that he never used (or we ever saw)those claws in extremely violent manners like he has now.

Seeing x23 go mini beserker in the beginning was amazing.
    Yeah the fights were definitely more visceral because of not having to shy away from or hide the gruesomeness

But I still think PG13 would have been just as good, cause the writing and acting was so good

We barely know anything about the two main bad guys in this but I thought they were both great. Especially robo-hand guy.

I thought this movie was great and a fitting send off for Jackman who's had his ups and downs through 9 movies.

I think the R-Rating was fitting because as Equint stated this is a movie about a mutant with metal claws that could cut through anything.

I have to say I'm not sure how I feel about
    Spoiler:
    Wolverine Clone X-24. I'm wondering if a clone of Sabretooth, or Sabretooth or Omega Red would have been better.

But I'm with Mee, the ending got to me. I'm not sure how I feel about this being the "best" X-Men movie. I think I might still have DOFP a hair above it mainly because I'm a sucker for happy endings.

Quote Originally Posted by Mee View Post
    This was the topic of a lot of the comic threads on SHH on how Fox "got it right" with R-Rated movies and how it does something that specifically the DCEU failed to do and the MCU won't do. Honestly, I don't think the MCU needs to do it, and also with what characters can they do it with? There's no need for an R-Rated Spider-Man or Avengers. There's also the Netflix series that does the R-Rated to a degree.

I think that while praising that Fox can do R-Rated comic book movies that's on lower budgets but done well, we still haven't got a true X-Men movie with the A Squad done right. I also don't see Fox green lighting a $200+ X-Men movie and not try and interfere. So by finding a "niche", I can't overlook there are somethings that Fox can't do.
    Last edited by Erzengel; 03-06-2017 at 03:24 AM.
    emperor of DKB or something

I thnk an R rating for the mcu would feel completely out of place. I cant ever see iron man or cap or spiderman cursing up a storm or impaling someone on a tree. It would feel forced and would go against what theyve built. Those movies are what they are.

Fox should see what theyve managed to do right with these movies and use that as a blueprint on how to handle their franchises going forward but they shouldnt feel like now they need to make every xmen movie now a R rating or go to these lengths as logan cause that will wear out quickly.

Like Martin with no Gina
    Of my memory's museum

It begs the question what can Fox do scale wise. Deadpool and Logan do well on lower budgets. However, even with low drops, Logan isn't going to equal what Deadpool did over a year ago.
    emperor of DKB or something

Quote Originally Posted by Erz
    Spoiler:

Wolverine Clone X-24. I'm wondering if a clone of Sabretooth, or Sabretooth or Omega Red would have been better.
    It's a metaphor though, it's subtext you see!

Spoiler:
    It's Logan literally at war with himself, fighting the raging animal within. His nightmares are about him hurting his loved ones, and then his "dad" gets killed by a carbon copy of himself. He's fighting his inner demons personified. Sabretooth would have felt like fan service I think, but I was expecting Omega Red when the movie first started to set it up. That probably would have been too out of place for the tone.

Basically they avoided their mistake from The Wolverine. The Wolverine turns to schlock when they introduce giant robo-samurai at the end, this was a much smarter way to get a boss battle, I think

+ Reply to Thread