+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ATTENTION KINDNESS - "FORTHCOMING" ALBUM THAT WAS FINISHED LIKE 2 YEARS AGO

ATTENTION KINDNESS - "FORTHCOMING" ALBUM THAT WAS FINISHED LIKE 2 YEARS AGO

THE ALBUM IS CALLED "ANIMAL LIFE".

THIS IS THE ONLY SONG I CAN FULLY ENJOY LISTENING TO
    BECAUSE IT SOUNDS THE MOST LIKE WHAT IS WAS SUPPOSED TO SOUND LIKE
    EVEN THOUGH MY FRIEND, AGAINST MY WISHES, AFTER I SLAVED AND STRESSED OVER A PERFECT MIX,
    RE-AMPED THE BASS AND TURNED IT UP A LITTLE TOO LOUD
    AND THEN, AFTER MONTHS OF DELIBERATING ABOUT WHERE TO GET IT MASTERED,
    HE BLEW ALL OF HIS MONEY ON FRIVOLOUS SHIT
    AND ENDED UP TAKING THE FUCKING ALBUM
    TO A STUPID, GENERIC CD DUPLICATING PLACE.
    WE HAD BEEN TALKING ABOUT SAVING UP AND GETTING A BIG NAME GUY TO MASTER IT,
    OR AT LEAST GOING TO A NICE MASTERING STUDIO HERE.
    AFTER SHOPPING AROUND, HE FOUND A GOOD PLACE THAT CHARGED $300 PER SONG.
    THE ASSHOLE DIDN'T WANT TO ACTUALLY PAY FOR GOOD MASTERING, HE JUST LIKED TALKING ENDLESSLY ABOUT HOW IMPORTANT IT IS.
    SO HE ENDED UP TAKING IT TO A PLACE THAT CHARGED LIKE 20 BUCKS PER SONG,
    AND GUESS WHAT, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!

SO, THEY JUST POPPED A GENERIC LIMITER ON EVERY SONG, EVEN THOUGH THEY WERE ALL MIXED TO SUIT THEIR OWN INDIVIDUAL SOUNDS
    AND SO THE VOCALS ARE WAY TOO OUT IN FRONT, AND THE AWESOME, 3-DIMENSIONAL GUITARS ARE ALL FLATTENED,
    LIKE TO THE POINT WHERE SOMETIMES, VERY IMPORTANT PARTS THAT I MADE PROMINENT
    CAN NOT EVEN BE HEARD.
    IT IS A NIGHTMARE AND IT SUCKS AND WE HAVEN'T SPOKEN SINCE HE FUCKED ME OVER AND BETRAYED ME IN MULTIPLE, INTERWOVEN WAYS.

ANYWAY, THIS SONG IS CALLED "SUPERNATURAL"

- That's my fretless guitar in the intro there. I love that weird Scooby-Doo Ghost sound it gets.

- When my friend wrote the song, he brought it over and it was entitled, "Supanatural".
    I'm very glad he decided to spell the word correctly.

- This is also the only song on which I played bass as well as guitars, because, he was doing all of the bass lines on keyboard, and he doesn't know how to play bass for a Rock band.
    He was setting his keyboard to sound like a bass guitar, but still playing like a fucking piano player plays with his left hand. In most cases I had to just let it go,
    "It's not my album. No way am I going to rewrite all of his flawed drum beats and rewrite all of his bass lines."
    But I love this song too much and his original bass line was dogshit as he had no idea how to sync up with the "drummer" and I could not stand it,
    so I broke my rule about only playing guitars, just for this one song, and one other one where he wrote like a '70s Prog Rock break, but just left an anemic drum machine beat under it,
    and I was like, "DUDE, the drums need to be following and accentuating all of these changes here." and he was like, "dURh, like, what? " so I took his drums off and played along with my fingers on my keyboard, to show him, and he was like, "Oh yeah, that's better. Well, why don't you just do it?" so I did.

- The thing first heard at 0:14, I love that, it sounds like Medieval Rock like good Jethro Tull.
    Sadly I wrote some of my favorite guitar parts I've done, over this other guys song.
    It's like we got married and had beautiful children and then we got divorced and he has full custody of the children.
    This is the only song on his album, that I would cover on one of my things.
    I like the Black Magic Garage sound.

- His harmonies on the chorus are genius. I love it so much.
    I like the contrast, instead of the old LOUD/quiet kind of Pagean chiaroscuro, I like the contrast between the kind of naive, In A Gadda Da Vida - like wannabe heavy verses, and then the chorus almost sounds like The Byrds, a more traditional, folky chord progression and the super-twangy almost Monkees - like guitar.

- 1:55, I like that wicked simple little guitar moment.

- The reason I like to make music, is because I have it going through my head all day long, all of the time, so I try to recreate in real life, what I'm hearing in my head. The greatest pleasure is when I can get it to sound exactly like it feels in my mind, and that twang at 2:23 is translated perfectly from my head.

- 2:43, I love that little variation, I do that Gypsy-sounding back and forth half-step thing. Feels like Romanian Druidery.
    Also reminds me of Castlevania on Nintendo.

- 3:09, it's not ripped off or even inspired by it, but the guitar at 3:10 ended up reminding me of the very end of WKRP closing credits.

at 0:30

- 3:17, perfectly translated demonic sound from my mind's ear

- 3:24 to 3:28, I love that really high note and then the like sad backwards Beatle like notes right after it.

- 3:54, Jimmy Page has this thing where he's playing "fast" (for those days), but it's all just cheap hammer-on's and pull-off's, but I don't care, it sound like Mystical, Cozmic Barnyard Sex with a million emotions flashing and fluttering by, because of the note choices inside of his cheap hammer-on's/pull-off's,
    and I perfectly got that Jimmy Page feel here at the end...Long-Haired '70s Wizards regurgitating Country/Rockabilly stuff and straining it through a sexy Rock-on-Drugs feel.
    Especially the bend at 4:06 which is just a straight Jimmy Page/Houses of the Holy...uh...homage.

- Cool fretless guitar/talking ghost at very end.

Whoo, there's one song.
    I'll add more later.
    Last edited by Wilhelm; 01-16-2017 at 05:16 PM.
    |\___/|
    | " " |
    ,===__/( \ / )\__===,
    / """ (") """ \
    / " \
    | \_____= =_____/ |
    ,==._/ /\ /^\ /\ \_.==,
    | _ __/" \ |] [| / "\__ _ |

I got a similar screwing over recently by the writer I did the children's book for, which was completed like a year ago and is still...forthcoming

So I FEEL you, m'dawg.

I can see what you mean about the vocals being too out front, but I dunno that I would have on my own. Might've been a Plinkett "you didn't notice, but yer brain did" type thing. I wanted the guitars and especially the drums to pop more.

I liked it though, I think it's cool
    "It was the best of times...it was Tebow Time."

Notice how Mee immediately tried to make this thread about him.

THIS SONG IS CALLED "HOLY ROLLER COAST"

- This song is fucking devastating because I only legit love, with no irony, like 3 of the songs on the album, and this is one of them.
    BUT, I made the decision to get most of the low end, just on this one song, from a pretty incorrect, booming kick drum.
    Well, obviously whoever "masturred" the "album", just thoughtlessly put all of the song within a generically acceptable frequency range,
    instead of using brain power to make all of the disparate mixes sound cohesive, 'cause the kick is gone.
    So, I love the song, but can not listen to it on the album, 'cause the weak kick makes it so the snare stands out alone,
    which creates this extremely obnoxious BAP BAP BAP all the way through, instead of the required, Boop-BAP-boop-BAP.

- But anyway, I like it because my big influence is Led Zeppelin, and a big influence for my friend is the Beatles, and this sounds to me like we got a perfect ratio of Zeppelin and Beatles, put it in a blender, and got something new, like Zeppelin is red and Beatles is white and we mixed until pink.
    'Cause the vocals are...I rolled my eyes when I first heard them 'cause they're so obviously, "Ooh, I wanna do a "I Am The Walrus"!1"
    But it has a riff that my friend wrote, that is reminiscent of Out on the Tiles by Led Zeppelin.

- He brought this over and it sounded so cheezedick to me, but when he told me that the rollercoaster is a reference to Bill Hicks' thing on the nature of life, then I liked it.

- 0:30, my friend wrote the chords but I got excited when I instantly came up with that descending 3 note thing (which kind of reminds me of the B:TAS theme) 'cause I like that when one instrument just keeps playing a thing and it stills works when the chords underneath, change.

- 0:38, worked hard to get that kind of Elvis guitar to sound muddy like that.

- I thought it was pretty cool to do Opposite Day, the verse is big and then on the chorus, most of the instruments drop out, just drums and vocals and some chirpy guitars, and then they all gradually reappear until it goes full-on when the bass comes in at 1:02.

- 1:30 another spooky Scooby-Doo ghost sound I created, in the background, that you can hardly hear now.

- 1:47, I love that hi-hat PSSSft, and right after that, I was trying to get a John Lennon echo delay on the vocals and on this chorus, it actually sounds John Lennony.

- 1:57, the guitar thing I'm doing there, I realized later, is a mutated version of the old theme to Entertainment Tonight.

- 2:19, I wanted this part to sound like a 60's Psych band I'd rarely listen to and I was very happy with the results.

- 2:51, I was playing on my digital guitar emulator, and I hit a note and let go, and even though the digital guitar can't feedback, it made that creepy ethereal noise.

- 3:23 This part cracks me up. I was doing it like it's a little girls dollar store jewelry box that plays music when you open it up and shitty plastic ballerina figurine spins around. haha

- Then at 3:33, I went ahead and did it. I made my guitar go "Rubble Rubble Rubble Rubble" like the Hamburglar. haha

- 3:44, on one take, I rubbed my hand against the strings while muting them, and it made that "Qwak Qwak" sound and I was very concerned with making sure that was audible.
    This is why I can't be a normal working musician, because I can not help but spend hours on tiny details like that, which mean everything to me, and nothing to anyone else.
    I wait the whole song to hear that HERE IT COMES...qwak qwak.

- 4:06, I like all of those many weird guitars melded together to make an Ending-feeling.

whoo, anotha song down
    |\___/|
    | " " |
    ,===__/( \ / )\__===,
    / """ (") """ \
    / " \
    | \_____= =_____/ |
    ,==._/ /\ /^\ /\ \_.==,

And not all of these are going to be long.

THIS SONG IS CALLED "MURDER SHOW"

At 1:17, I don't usually do these slow, soaring kind of emotional solos, like in an '80s Hair Ballad,
    but I was very happy with this, melodically and weird texture-wise.
    And weird thing, after the stop, at 1:41, I layered up all these twangy guitars and it reminds me of fIREHOSE.

BOOM
    |\___/|
    | " " |
    ,===__/( \ / )\__===,
    / """ (") """ \
    / " \
    | \_____= =_____/ |
    ,==._/ /\ /^\ /\ \_.==,

THIS SONG IS CALLED "ANIMAL LIFE"

Years ago, my friend said he wrote a new song and I should lay some guitars on it and I heard it and it sounded like a T. Rex rip-off so I said, "O-kay. " and that is how the whole thing started.
    I like at 2:06, on my expensive monitors at home, that distant foggy lighthouse in Twin Peaks mini-lead guitar sounds so 3-D like it's in a scooped out sound pocket.
    This one is not devastating. I wanted the vocals way out front on this like a Marc Bolan song and I like how it's Doo-Woppy but the drums kind of sound Industrial.

THIS SONG IS CALLED "DOG DAYS"

It's another '70s Glam-inspired song with that overtly Gary Glitter beat.

- At the very beginning, I have no idea what this song is actually about, but you always hear "the dog days of summer" so I thought [heat] and those building up guitar layers are supposed to be, you're inside a microwave that's getting hotter and hotter.

- Pretty Hubert Sumlin/Zeppeliny guitar.... ..."licks", that I like.

- I don't like how my friend is so, Conversational, with his singing. I tried many times to get him to understand that great singers belt it out and other things he doesn't do.
    Rather than saying, "Yeah, I do it this way." which I would have respected, he insisted that he was tOtally freakin' belting it out when he recorded.
    Mmmm....no.
    If someone sang this like an overblown, whiny bitch like Gary Glitter, it'd be a whole different song.

- Whatever, I like it fine. I'm proud of the simple movement of the harmonized guitars under his voice at 1:25.
    It's like a solo but doesn't step on his voice. Well, it's kind of like a chugging bass line only played on a twang guitar.

- The cheezedickness of this reminds me of,

and

- 3:18 I love how that twang cuts through there.

THIS SONG IS CALLED "EJECT"

- More intentionally limp retro stuff, I wanted this to have a Steve Miller feel, and also a feel like "Get yer skis shined up, grab a stick o' Juicy Fruit..."
    And there's one guitar that was the slightly Jazzy 70's Paul Simon guitar. Then it's got a retard-O like Cowboy lead.

- I think the "You can never come back once you've gone. EJECT - EJECT - EJECT - EJECT - EJECT - EJECT - EJECT - EJECT - EJECT - EJECT" part is classic. I love it.
    It's like mean, but Boogie-Woogie.

- Another insane detail I worked to make audible, at 2:06, there's some random bump on my guitar, but it sounds like a little Tropical ~pop~...that little "pwop", sounds like a coconut hit a cartoon's head, and it was in tune with the song...but it's pretty quiet. I always wait for it.

- I like the solo. It sounds like, this bad-ass is totally cool dumping this chick, plenty of fish in the sea, so long. But then the solo represents, he's starting to allow himself to think of complex, melancholy emotions stirred by her, he's starting to get carried away, then totally pissed off, as the snare/toms start pounding louder aND LOUDER and then, bloop - He remember, who gives a fuck?, and he is calmed down and back to being cool with telling her to fuck off, as the song abruptly goes back to normal with the relatively sedate acoustic guitar strumming.

- 4:39, I used autotune to bend existing guitar notes, unnaturally, and it ended up sounding like peddle steel guitar.

- More insanely painstaking work no one Earth but me will care about, at the very end, I did Bluesy solos on like 4 different takes, but I liked tiny parts of each take, so I meticulously chopped out the few cool notes, but only if the other guitars were not doing something cool there, and crossfaded it all together, so the 4 guitars would sound like 1 guitar, annd...I enjoy....those, like3 seconds of the song.

All Right...3 more in the can, maan.
    Last edited by Wilhelm; 01-16-2017 at 09:19 PM.
    |\___/|
    | " " |
    ,===__/( \ / )\__===,
    / """ (") """ \
    / " \
    | \_____= =_____/ |
    ,==._/ /\ /^\ /\ \_.==,

THIS SONG IS CALLED "GIRL WITH THE FINGER IN HER MOUTH"

I like this song, awesome MK Ultra subject matter, and it came out fine, 'cause I got the drums just like I wanted them and my friend's existing fake bass sound was perfect.

- The only big bitch about this is the fucking mastering. I can not fucking stand these fucking MORONS, who have no idea what dynamics are, so they pop a Limiter or Compressor or Normalizer or whatever on there, and it brainlessly evens everything out.
    You hear this on tons of big time productions these days.
    What it is, is:

In the real mix I did, the fucking finished mix,
    The twangy R.E.M. guitars at the very beginning,
    ARE SUPER QUIET

and then, almost like a jump scare in a shitty modern Horror movie, the drums, bass and Loud Guitars come in, POWWw

Well, wow, brilliant...'cause if you hit play on that video, you'll hear these louds R.E.M. guitars, and then a relatively quiet burst as the band comes in,
    'cause the brainiac "enjunear" thinks, "dURrh....that first part is so quiet, and then it gets really loud. I must even it out so nothing is too quiet or too loud DURrh!1"

I don't know if that's just youtube or if it's on the album. I don't care. It's a big peeve of mine as it is not only, disappointing, or "less than ideal",
    it's the flat out exact OPPOSITE of what I created.

Annyway,

- That chuk-chuk-chuk-chuk-chuk-chuk-chuk bass at 0:31 is perfect.

- 0:45, I like that good-side-of-the-'90s snarling, crunchy guitar coming across a telephone - sound.

- 1:23, Really good ghostly keyboard he did in this.

- 2:14, one of my favorite solos I ever wrote and it was weird 'cause I didn't write it on guitar. I wrote the melody on my computer, without a thought for guitar fingering tropes, and then I had to learn to play it on guitar, and it was a bit of a challenge, 'cause it was notes I would never play on guitar, naturally.

- I love when there's there's the little stop and he goes "I'm ima-ginaray." and that eerie Theremin-like synth in the background.

- 2:47 i like that aquatic sound.

- I like the choppy, funky guitar at 3:06. It reminds me of Sheila E.s's The Glamorous Life.

THIS SONG IS CALLED "DRIVE BY"

- Lots of cool fretless guitar in this, the intro lead is based on laughing HA HA Ha ha ha ha ha haaa, and then get Vaudevillian.

- I love that '80s drama as the squirrelly guitars boil up and swell into a peak, at 1:13.
    There's so many guitars there, melded together. smh

- Pretty gay song, like Depeche Mode kind of gay, but if their guitar player could actually play guitar.

- 2:36, cool tremolo effect on his sustained note there.

-
    Sometimes, a kiss
    Is all it takes
    A kiss on the cheek
    To feel rested again
    To feel rested again
    To feel rested again
    To feel rested again

Really dude?

- Well, I swoop in at 3:23 to inject some Zeppelinisms on our way out.
    |\___/|
    | " " |
    ,===__/( \ / )\__===,
    / """ (") """ \
    / " \
    | \_____= =_____/ |
    ,==._/ /\ /^\ /\ \_.==,

Is this your faggot ass in the back?

I like how he gives you zero props on his website. What an asshole.

Quote Originally Posted by Fetty APT View Post
    Is this your faggot ass in the back?
    Yeah, but that was so many years ago.
    Now I look like if that guy got cancer.
    So adjust your Spank Bank accordingly.
    |\___/|
    | " " |
    ,===__/( \ / )\__===,
    / """ (") """ \
    / " \
    | \_____= =_____/ |
    ,==._/ /\ /^\ /\ \_.==,