+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Westworld

I watched the first 2 episodes, really enjoyed them. There's a lot that's more from the perspective of the robots than the film ever was. I find the whole concept pretty terrifying, really makes me think about robot ethics.

I wonder if there's like, an underlying theme of criticism of capitalism or corporate culture Disposable people treated with no regard

There's lots of dehumanizing aspects from the general abuse given to the robots from the guests to how the scientists do testing on them while they're in the nude and just keep them in storage all in the buff, like cattle or something.

The build up is pretty interesting, this idea that the memories of their lives are coming to them like hazy memories, slowly putting together that something isn't quite right with their day to day lives.

I also enjoy how Westworld kind of plays out like an elaborate video game. The robots are essentially NPCs who have been written with scripts to entice the humans into adventures. The two human guys, the guests, they're polar opposites in their approach. Ya have the guy that treats it like GTA, and the guy that just wants to explore it and see what's there and is horrified by his friends' actions.

When the old man (robot) comes over to talk to them and the bad guy fucking stabs him in the hand, and you see all that blood... It's disturbing in a way because it is like a video game with super realism. I feel we're not too far off from a Westworld style experience. Not necessarily robots but with better and better VR technology, and later touch technology as the years go on.

But yeah when there are human like robots walking around eventually, let's treat them with respect!! I shall treat my robot GF with the utmost respect!!!
    Kaine's comics

'Donate' to the KaineDamo Bitcoin fund: 1EiTw2zBmjgNaKkqoMaEV1QrgcE4ZGsHKT

Quote Originally Posted by KaineDamo View Post
    I shall treat my robot GF with the utmost respect!!!
    wow

Hahahah.

Feeling like Katrina with no fema
    Like Martin with no Gina
    Like a flight with no visa
    First class with the seat back I still see ya
    In my past, you on the other side of the glass
    Of my memory's museum

I just keep thinking, I'd rather watch a straight up western

But HBO already did Deadwood, I watched the pilot and thought it was lame. Hell on Wheels is over. BUT AMC has a new western coming next year with Pierce Brosnan.
    "It was the best of times...it was Tebow Time."

Is this SafeforMee to watch at work during my lunch break?
    emperor of DKB or something

No. Lots of nudity.
    Kaine's comics

'Donate' to the KaineDamo Bitcoin fund: 1EiTw2zBmjgNaKkqoMaEV1QrgcE4ZGsHKT

its casual nudity like 90% of the time so it might be ok tho just say its an art documentary

Spoiler:
    So I'm pretty sure that Arnold is Ed Harris' character.
    HUNKA HUNKA!

This show is a masterpiece. Holy shit.

Next season won't come on until late 2018.
    HUNKA HUNKA!

Grand Vizier of Biscuit Equity Daisy's Avatar
    I started watching this because there's a 30-day free trail of HBO through Amazon Prime.

I didn't really get it while people were talking about it, but OMG. Anthony Hopkins is the best. Robert Ford is as bad as Hannibal Lecter - but way creepier.

Spoiler:

When he gets all bent out of shape over the guy who has covered up one of the bots while working on him and basically is like - "they're THINGS" - and then stabs the robot in the head to prove a point. He's saying: treat these things - that look and act human (that he himself is trying to make seem as human as possible) worse than we treat animals. And the way he controls and manipulates the other humans as well.... bad hombre.

Another of the things that got to me as to just how utterly cruel the humans are to the robots is when Dolores

Spoiler:
    shoots her attacker and goes out of her loop. There's not way she can kill him if he were human, so that particular attacker is a robot. That means that they are having her raped and killed even when there is no human guest wanting that kind of storyline. They just have another host fulfill the role of attacker.

I'm halfway through... I guess I might have to susbscribe to HBOGO when the next season comes out.
    “There's something screwy about that dame.”

+ Reply to Thread