+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The Revenant (2015)

Fitz didn't have to convince Bridger to leave. They both went back and said they were chased away from Glass, and the only reason Glass pardoned Bridger was due to his youth, not because it was Fitz's idea to leave.
    http://filthysushi.tumblr.com/

"I donít get sick. I donít observe major holidays. Iím a jackhammer.Ē

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Didn't he get paid extra to stay along with the young kid?

80 dollars I thinK?
    $100. And if I remember correctly, Bridger and Hawk gave up their shares so Fitz got $300
    HUNKA HUNKA!

Yeah, and in that day and age that amount of money would be like 7 grand today, so yeah a fucktton of money
    It's all in the 'stache

so a fuck ton of money is okay to pretend Indians are coming so you can kill a handy and his son and that doesn't make you a terrible person. ok cool. you're a terrible person if you think that.

i'm not debating on the 'IRL' parts of this story, just the movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mee View Post
    "oh I wouldn't want to go there. They're fighting in the streets there. BLACK LIVES MATTER. BLACK LIVES MATTER. *fist pumping* THAT'S what they're saying there."

Well this is based off a true story so they gotta stick with it to some extent. Yeah Fitz was a shitty dude but he had his reasons, which were perfectly legit in his case. Fuck him still, but whatevs.
    It's all in the 'stache

I don't know the real story but my point is: IN THIS MOVIE, FITZ IS A TERRIBLE PERSON.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mee View Post
    "oh I wouldn't want to go there. They're fighting in the streets there. BLACK LIVES MATTER. BLACK LIVES MATTER. *fist pumping* THAT'S what they're saying there."

Yeah, and IRL he was as well, probably.

IRL Glass was going to kill him but didn't because Fitz joined the army, and killing a soldier back then = u gon die
    It's all in the 'stache

I watched this last night and i often consider leo overrated (aside from his earlier work like basketball diaries and this boys life) but he earned the oscar. I actually thought the bear maul would be much worse than i had imagined but i agree with nirv, the end fight had its cringe moments.

Id never have survived in this time. I have awful sense of direction so id be screwed in the wilderness.

Feeling like Katrina with no fema
    Like Martin with no Gina
    Like a flight with no visa
    First class with the seat back I still see ya
    In my past, you on the other side of the glass
    Of my memory's museum

This movie, isn't very good?

OR, it is very good, it's just not very entertaining.

It's extremely well made and beautifully shot, but Leo's story is borderline uninteresting. I'm fine with a slow movie, but sooo much of this movie is just Leo crawling around and grunting. You never feel connected to him or his son in the beginning before everything turns to crap, so once it does you're not invested in it, and then you spend most of the movie never getting invested with Leo because he's just...surviving. You never really get connected to his pain or his motivation, towards the end the movie tries to tell you it's revenge but the whole time it just seemed like survival.

I think what they should have done, was have Leo get found and partnered up with that Indian early on. Or maybe he rescues that girl earlier, then that tribe helps him back to the fort as thanks. Some way to give him another character or characters to bounce off of so that we can get an idea of who he is and what he wants.

I have no clue how he got an Oscar for this, this is Tom Hardy's movie. He's so great in this that it's annoying when they cut from him back to more of Leo grunting.

And while the movie is definitely well shot, some of the modern touches took me out of it. The CGI bear, the CGI buffalo, why go to all the extremes of the locations and the natural light and then all your animals are CGI. Could they have done all they did with the bear if it wasn't CGI, no, but I think realism would have been scarier. There's a reason Jaws still works. It's tangible.

Also the tracking shots at times felt distracting, that opening battle...could have used some cuts. And anytime the camera becomes part of a movie, it takes me out of it. They had a couple scenes where Leo's breath fogs up the lense...why?

OH and when Leo is escaping the Indians that one time he fires his pistol, gets on his horse and fires again without reloading. Sorry, those are single shot pistols, there goes your realism again.

So I'm glad I saw this but I wouldn't go out of my way to ever see it again. Watch it if you're a Tom Hardy fan and have a lot of patience.
    Last edited by Mee; 07-01-2017 at 06:56 PM.
    "It was the best of times...it was Tebow Time."

Quote Originally Posted by ben View Post
    Am I the only one who doesn't think Fitz was that terrible a person in this? Glass OK'ed his death, then his son came up screaming and crying, and wouldn't listen to Fitz. If he kept on screaming, those damn injuns would have totes come sooner and killed all of them.

Maybe its because the last film I saw in theaters was Hateful Eight, where everyone was just watching out for their own self, but I didn't really fault him for much.

Also, while Leo will probably win for this, it wasn't his best performance, but I did expect more LEO SCREAM. Very little LEO SCREAM.

I have listed a few complaints, but I did enjoy the film. I was speaking to Movies yesterday, and he put it the best way

[/FONT][/COLOR]Thats pretty much it. Its got a ton of great moments, but it seems like Innaritu wanted to make an action film that the Oscar voters would be willing to vote for.
    I have to disagreee with one thing here Benjamin

I don't think Glass ok'd his death. The way I interpreted that was as a cruel no win situation. Obviously Glass was going to have to blink eventually, and Fitzgerald was going to stay there until he did. So in a twisted way he could ease whatever conscience he had left.

Really, that was one of the best scenes. Had the sort of tension of the Two Face scenes in TDK or a Tarantino movie.
    "It was the best of times...it was Tebow Time."

+ Reply to Thread