+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Revenant (2015)

The Revenant (2015)

Fur trapper/group scout Hugh Glass (Leo!) is leading an expedition back to their home base in Montana. Glass decides to look further ahead in the path, and ends up getting viciously mauled by a bear (Grizzly). The group wants to save him, so they try and carry him as far as they can. However, once they reach a hilly area, they assign John Fitzgerald (Tom Hardy) and Jim Bridger (Will Poulter) to watch over Glass until he succumbs from the wounds/cold. At the same time, a group of French trappers has an Indian Chief's daughter held captive, and her father is looking for them. The daughter was sold to the French by Fitzgerald.

Fitzgerald kills his Indian son, and semi-buries Glass alive, and continues on with the job to make his money back home at camp. Over a few weeks, Glass returns back to camp with the help of his captain (Domnhall Gleeson). Glass tells them what really happened, seeking revenge for what John did to him and his son.

This movie is fucking gorgeous. It was shot with all natural lighting, and filmed from October 2014 - August 2015.

Leo does a great job. You can tell they really shot this with the bare minimum in terms of resources. It's a brutal and beautiful looking film. It is very long (2:36), but the cinematography and the amazing shots keep you into it when the plot slows down.

There are some absolutely rough scenes...
    Spoiler:
    When the bear mauls Glass, it doesn't hold anything back. The grizzly slashes his throat, definitely the most cringe-inducing part.
    When Glass starts to walk again post-betrayal, he goes near the river to get food and make a fire. He puts gunpowder on his throat wound and uses some fire to ignite the powder, thus cauterizing the wound...
    Midway through, a Pawnee Indian encounters Glass, and offers him shelter and some healing power, in the form of maggots eating the dead flesh.
    Hugh is later chased by a tribe of Injuns after he rescues the chief's daughter in question, and falls off a cliff with his horse. A storm comes, so what do you do? You gut the horse and sleep in the carcass butt-ass naked, of course!
    The final fight is pretty good. Short but to the point. Fitzgerald gets some fingers sliced off by Leo's hatchet, and Glass gets knifed a few times. Hugh overpowers John to the point of pushing him into the stream, right into the hands of the Indian Chief, who finishes him off, with his daughter in tow.

I'd definitely go see this in theaters, for the visuals alone. I think we may see Leo get his Oscar... hopefully.
    HUNKA HUNKA!

Well damn. Sounds good..

Ever read about the real Hugh Glass though?

A little. My mom just read the book this is semi-based on, so I'm going to snag it from her at Christmas.
    HUNKA HUNKA!

How easily will DiCaprio lose to Redmayne for the Danish girl?
    emperor of DKB or something

Does he say "old sport" at all?
    "It was the best of times...it was Tebow Time."

No.
    HUNKA HUNKA!

I see
    "It was the best of times...it was Tebow Time."

raise your hand if u also had to google "revenant definition" just to reassure yourself that your guess about it was right

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    raise your hand if u also had to google "revenant definition" just to reassure yourself that your guess about it was right
    pffff, I see you never played D&D.
    |\___/|
    | " " |
    ,===__/( \ / )\__===,
    / """ (") """ \
    / " \
    | \_____= =_____/ |
    ,==._/ /\ /^\ /\ \_.==,
    | _ __/" \ |] [| / "\__ _ |

that is correct

+ Reply to Thread