+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Les Groper vs. The Sports

their non-sports content is awesome tho

King of the Monstars Les Groper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    their non-sports content is awesome tho
    I like rembert, but its obvious hes their token image of young black America, cause his Ferguson account was extremely compelling. Grantland could use more ballsy ass writers on the pulse of political and social commentary
    You know nothing about film.
    Spoiler:

Nintendo masks their lack of graphic quality with "quirky graphics and characters".
    I can honestly say, if at 19, I was a pro baseball player, I would have exactly 100% fewer broken bats and thrown helmets.
    I could have made a better TDKR
    I feel sad for your inability to just enjoy an entertaining movie without you being critical over it's components.
    Spoiler:
    No one.

Is talking.

About.

Just.

Having.

A.

Gun.

At.

Home.

You.

Are.

Ignoring.

The.

Defense.

Of.

Home.

Aspect.

Because.

It.

Trashes.

Your.

Defense.

So.

You.

Focus.

On.

An.

Arbitrary.

Report.

On.

A.

Pointless.

Scenario.

That.

No one.

Was.

Talking.

About.

That's.

Dishonest.

i mean...it's sports/entertainment. not sports/entertainment/politics. the most political they should get is to write a piece on some political intersection with media, like the correspondent's dinner.

King of the Monstars Les Groper's Avatar
    But would you agree that having more political angles would beef up the quality of the content? I certainly think so, but its more reflecting my own tastes than what the pulse of the Grantland populace would feel
    You know nothing about film.
    Spoiler:

Nintendo masks their lack of graphic quality with "quirky graphics and characters".
    I can honestly say, if at 19, I was a pro baseball player, I would have exactly 100% fewer broken bats and thrown helmets.
    I could have made a better TDKR
    I feel sad for your inability to just enjoy an entertaining movie without you being critical over it's components.
    Spoiler:
    No one.

Is talking.

About.

Just.

Having.

A.

Gun.

At.

Home.

You.

Are.

Ignoring.

The.

Defense.

Of.

Home.

Aspect.

Because.

It.

Trashes.

Your.

Defense.

So.

You.

Focus.

On.

An.

Arbitrary.

Report.

On.

A.

Pointless.

Scenario.

That.

No one.

Was.

Talking.

About.

That's.

Dishonest.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Groper View Post
    I'm just gonna take what I started to talk about in the NFL thread and make my own thread about it.

Where are the greater intellectual discussions about sports these days? We are capable of more than just breaking down who won the game each week, and there are always more interesting conversations to be had than just muh michigan, muh michigan state, muh iowa. supporting a logo is not as compelling as I once thought it was.
    More interesting conversations like:
    - head trauma and its impact on sports
    - domestic abuse and its handling by the privileged and powerful
    - how females are treated when they succeed in a male sport
    - the conundrum of labor, pay and education found in collegiate sports

And those were just some of the BIG topics that major news outlets ran with this year. Don't act like all sports enthusiasts ever do is break down the Xs and Os.

Les Groper vs. The NFL: As previous stated, Roger Goodell bullshit is ruining the sport. The tv profits and revenues are only going up, at the expense of everyones humanity. The concussion issues are depressing, making one wonder if football is worth it at all? Same goes for all high contact sports. Dudes bodies get torn and ravaged, is the glory of winning on Sunday worth all that? I find myself questioning such things.
    As ben said, football players choose to play. If they don't want to risk a concussion or any other injury, they can choose not to take the field. Period. Is the glory of victory worth it? Apparently it is to them. It might not be to you, but that's why you aren't the Cardinals' starting middle linebacker.

Now, I fully agree that Roger Goodell is bullshit. He's a corporate robot built for the purpose of "protecting the shield" and making the owners more money. His bungling of issues is a disgrace, and the fact that he still has his job casts an even more negative light on the owners that employ him. Personally, my consumption of the NFL is limited. I watch maybe one full game a weekend, and it's usually the Colts when I can get them in my market, or the Bears when I can't (plz kill me). I'm not the guy shelling out cash to get NFL Sunday Ticket or RedZone. I'm not the guy with three TVs set up so I can watch multiple games at once, and the only NFL gear I own was given to me for Christmas. But as long as guys want to take ridiculous paychecks to play the game, I'll watch.

Les Groper vs. The MLB: Media narratives tearing down the careers of ballplayers despite a drug culture that they themselves partially enabled, if you believe those theories from the '90s. Super hypocritical that honest conversation about the prevalence of cheating has more or less shitted on the Hall of Fame, meant to be the highest honor in the sport. MLB also exploits poor Latinos in poverty and has created a system where you have to fuck everyone over just to make it to America, by use of any illegal means necessary (including the PEDs that the very same media decries). Is that something that baseball fans should be okay with? Not sure. My team (dbacks) just signed a highly touted Cuban defector and God knows what insane shit happened in order for him to be available in the first place. We've heard stories about guys like Puig and Chapman more or less selling dudes out so they can escape the island. Cutthroat as fuck.
    I have nothing to say about baseball. I don't watch it unless I'm sitting in a ballpark drunk off my ass.

Les Groper vs. the NCAA: We all know its completely fucked, moving on.
    This is probably the most bullshit part of your post. Yes, the NCAA is awful. Full stop. But that's no reason to completely bail on the entire world of collegiate athletics. I don't cheer for a logo. I cheer for the student athletes that are out there representing my school and the community associated with it. College football is the gateway for many fans that weren't actually students, but that's not the only thing I pay attention to. I spent seven years on campus in Iowa City and I became friends with many athletes that never set foot on a football field. I went to basketball games, wrestling meets, soccer matches, and rowing regattas. I cheer for and support Iowa's football team because it is the most visible sport and because the revenue generated by it helps keep the other sports afloat.

Further, the wheels are falling off the NCAA. The lawsuits will keep coming, so will the missteps that lead to plummeting public opinion. Their crown jewel, football, finally has the playoff that everyone has been calling for since week one of the BCS. Stipends for student athletes are going up, which will eventually lead to pay-to-play. The threat of the Power 5 conferences splitting off to run things their own way is very real.

Les Groper vs. the NBA: It's literally the only sport other than WWF that you can plausibly argue that there's an element of staged drama at play. I'll let the NBA bros break this one down.
    You called WWF a sport, so yeah.

Les Groper vs. the Hockey: I dunno, it's a brutal game that drives people nuts when there's a fight. Nothing more pleasant than hearing grown men curse at the top of their lungs in front of children. If anything, hockey (as well as most every other live sport) promotes vile attitudes in public.
    A name a place where no grown man has ever cursed in front of a child. I've seen it happen at hockey games, football games, basketball games, tennis matches, bowling alleys, churches, court rooms, shopping malls and water parks. So, please, come off your high horse. As for the violence, I point you towards my comments on football injuries.

Les Groper vs the Soccer: FIFA is fucking horrific when it comes to corruption. Nuff said.
    Far from enough said. How about soccer that isn't the World Cup, which is where FIFA rears its ugly head the most? What about MLS? C'mon, man.

Les Groper vs. the sports owners: So my favorite team is owned by a Republican jackass in Ken Kendrick who donates to Republican candidates that push legislation to continually fuck over the state of Arizona. It doesnt feel great that every dollar spent on dbacks merchandise puts more money in that assholes pocket. Despite all this, I still love going to games, dammit.
    Yeah, if something is popular and revenue-generating it is probably owned by a dickbag. That's not just sports, either.

I also think alot of these issues can been seen in nearly every hobby. They can also be seen in politics. They can also be seen in many industries. Alot of your issues sound like "the athletes are treated like shit by their superiors", which isn't something unique to sports.

This thread reminds me of the South Park episode "You're Getting Old"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You're_Getting_Old
    http://filthysushi.tumblr.com/

"I donít get sick. I donít observe major holidays. Iím a jackhammer.Ē

Quote Originally Posted by EML View Post
    A name a place where no grown man has ever cursed in front of a child. I've seen it happen at hockey games, football games, basketball games, tennis matches, bowling alleys, churches, court rooms, shopping malls and water parks. So, please, come off your high horse. As for the violence, I point you towards my comments on football injuries.
    Yep! Hell, Hockey has gotten a lot less violent over the years. And with the fights, well, the worst injuries from those are lost teeth and a black eye. Obviously there are freak accidents, but shit happens. And also, the whole thing about fights is, you got to remember that these are grown men doing their job, and there is a bige family dynamic for these teams, so a lot of the times these fights are just guys protecting the star player, defending themselves, etc. I see nothing wrong with that. Better do it on the ice surrounded by refs where the fight can be regulated and made sure no one gets badly hurt. Off the ice after the game shit could go down if they don't get a chance to get rid of all that tension and it could get ugly.

And also, for "promoting a vile attitude", the NHL seems to have a much better lack of criminals than the NBA and NFL. I don't hear that much about criminals in that league, thank God for that
    It's all in the 'stache

According to alot of people I have spoken with (plus what Bill Simmons says), it sounds like hockey is actually a great sport to take your family to.

It really is. Sure you have your drunken assholes hear and there but generally it's a good time. Going to a game in a city like Montreal or Boston or Calgary is the best, the atmosphere there is amazing.

I went to a game in Dallas once and I was so annoyed at how many people were on their phones instead of watching the game. Games are garbage down there in the south, and it's dirt cheap as well which is maddening
    It's all in the 'stache

Thats Dallas sports in general, though. Dallas fans for everything are pretty much the worst bandwagoning fans out there.

+ Reply to Thread