+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Les Groper vs. The Sports

King of the Monstars Les Groper's Avatar

Les Groper vs. The Sports

I'm just gonna take what I started to talk about in the NFL thread and make my own thread about it.

Where are the greater intellectual discussions about sports these days? We are capable of more than just breaking down who won the game each week, and there are always more interesting conversations to be had than just muh michigan, muh michigan state, muh iowa. supporting a logo is not as compelling as I once thought it was.

Les Groper vs. The NFL: As previous stated, Roger Goodell bullshit is ruining the sport. The tv profits and revenues are only going up, at the expense of everyones humanity. The concussion issues are depressing, making one wonder if football is worth it at all? Same goes for all high contact sports. Dudes bodies get torn and ravaged, is the glory of winning on Sunday worth all that? I find myself questioning such things.

Les Groper vs. The MLB: Media narratives tearing down the careers of ballplayers despite a drug culture that they themselves partially enabled, if you believe those theories from the '90s. Super hypocritical that honest conversation about the prevalence of cheating has more or less shitted on the Hall of Fame, meant to be the highest honor in the sport. MLB also exploits poor Latinos in poverty and has created a system where you have to fuck everyone over just to make it to America, by use of any illegal means necessary (including the PEDs that the very same media decries). Is that something that baseball fans should be okay with? Not sure. My team (dbacks) just signed a highly touted Cuban defector and God knows what insane shit happened in order for him to be available in the first place. We've heard stories about guys like Puig and Chapman more or less selling dudes out so they can escape the island. Cutthroat as fuck.

Les Groper vs. the NCAA: We all know its completely fucked, moving on.

Les Groper vs. the NBA: It's literally the only sport other than WWF that you can plausibly argue that there's an element of staged drama at play. I'll let the NBA bros break this one down.

Les Groper vs. the Hockey: I dunno, it's a brutal game that drives people nuts when there's a fight. Nothing more pleasant than hearing grown men curse at the top of their lungs in front of children. If anything, hockey (as well as most every other live sport) promotes vile attitudes in public.

Les Groper vs the Soccer: FIFA is fucking horrific when it comes to corruption. Nuff said.

Les Groper vs. the sports owners: So my favorite team is owned by a Republican jackass in Ken Kendrick who donates to Republican candidates that push legislation to continually fuck over the state of Arizona. It doesnt feel great that every dollar spent on dbacks merchandise puts more money in that assholes pocket. Despite all this, I still love going to games, dammit.

In conclusion. I don't know how much time I plan to realistically and emotionally invest in the sports in the future. But please, engage me gentlemen and ladies.
    You know nothing about film.
    Spoiler:

Nintendo masks their lack of graphic quality with "quirky graphics and characters".
    I can honestly say, if at 19, I was a pro baseball player, I would have exactly 100% fewer broken bats and thrown helmets.
    I could have made a better TDKR
    I feel sad for your inability to just enjoy an entertaining movie without you being critical over it's components.
    Spoiler:
    No one.

Is talking.

About.

Just.

Having.

A.

Gun.

At.

Home.

You.

Are.

Ignoring.

The.

Defense.

Of.

Home.

Aspect.

Because.

It.

Trashes.

Your.

Defense.

So.

You.

Focus.

On.

An.

Arbitrary.

Report.

On.

A.

Pointless.

Scenario.

That.

No one.

Was.

Talking.

About.

That's.

Dishonest.

u think u can't argue for any "staged drama" elements in the NFL???? with the lights going out in the Super Bowl, you can't even ARGUE it? i have a buddy who thinks the NFL is the most rigged sport of all

Wasnt thinking about that, but I dunno how much that affected each individual team though? Having officials in your pocket is a bigger indicator of fraud, just as that NBA ref Tim Donaughey.

There was that thing from the broncos bills where it appeared an official fist pumped a Denver TD, I didnt see any video I just heard it happened.
    Spoiler:

Nintendo masks their lack of graphic quality with "quirky graphics and characters".
    I can honestly say, if at 19, I was a pro baseball player, I would have exactly 100% fewer broken bats and thrown helmets.
    I feel sad for your inability to just enjoy an entertaining movie without you being critical over it's components.
    Spoiler:
    No one.

Is talking.

About.

Just.

Having.

A.

Gun.

At.

Home.

You.

Are.

Ignoring.

The.

Defense.

Of.

Home.

Aspect.

Because.

It.

Trashes.

Your.

Defense.

So.

You.

Focus.

On.

An.

Arbitrary.

Report.

On.

A.

Pointless.

Scenario.

That.

No one.

Was.

Talking.

About.

That's.

Dishonest.

I was going to respond, but I became too depressed. Did you play John Madden's Cynicism 2015 recently?

I'll just repost what I said in the NFL thread

Quote Originally Posted by Les Groper View Post
    Its not? Think of all the shit that Goodell does to weaken the sport.

forcing more thursday games despite the lack of game quality and increased injury
    This is silly. Sunday night games have a higher point differential than Thursday night games (19 ppg vs 18ppg) and that actually includes the San Fran v Seattle game as a Sunday night game, due to my idiocy/the way the schedule is set up, so the Thursday number would actually drop to closer to 17. I know 2 ppg isn't much, but you cannot say they are worse games without actually, you know, looking at the numbers. They are actually, more often than not, far less exciting (Thursday night games seem to, more often than Sunday night games, be competitive in the 4th until a team pulls away).

muh money, fining players who dont talk to the media or wear the proper headphones
    The headphones thing is a sponsor issue. If he doesn't fine then, then he could see potential legal action. Also, boo hoo, these multi millionaires have to speak for 5 minutes after a game.

not giving a shit about what ray rice did.
    He actually gave too much of a shit. He lied about what Rice said to him, just to cover his own ass from a PR point of view. He fucked up big time on this, just like he is fucking up on the Peterson issue. He tried suspending them longer than he should, just to make it seem like he gives a shit about this, when in reality he just wants to get good PR.
    http://filthysushi.tumblr.com/

"I donít get sick. I donít observe major holidays. Iím a jackhammer.Ē

Eh, fuck it

People in the US know what happens if you get a concussion or if you use PEDs. That is on them. Do not blame the NFL or MLB or whatever sport for what people do to themselves and/or positions they put themselves into to make money. Yes, the NFL can and should do a better job in treating both current players and retired players, but concussions on their own is something that someone who wants to play football is aware COULD happen. Should we blame the national rock climbing association (if its a thing) because people want to climb Mount Everest and then die? There are risks involved.

As far as PEDs in baseball, its the same logic. They are doing it to themselves Do not blame the media or MLB or whoever you want to shift blame to, away from the player. Its silly to look at anyone other than the player. As far as latino players, yes, that is a legitimate concern and complaint. I will not argue that.

Your comment about the NBA being rigged because of something that happened in 2001 is pretty silly, too. Should we assume that a first grader that cheats on a test should be called a cheater when he is in college? This complaint is near trolling, to be honest.

College football will, in the next 30 years, be more like a farm system for the NFL. This is what I believe you want. That said, if money is such a big issue for these players, why aren't we seeing players go into the CFL, where they can start playing at age 19, or Arena Football where you can play at 18? We are seeing that with high school basketball players going overseas to get pro contracts right away. I haven't seen a football player do this. My thought is that they have an out, use it. Go to college for a year, and if you don't want to stay, go to the CFL. Don't want to risk an injury with no education? Then go the fuck to college.

FIFA sucks, but soccer is god tier.

It really seems like you want to ignore individual or team "funtimes" and just look at silliness going on behind the scenes. If you want to do that, fine, but I'd rather not go through life trying to find the worst in everything.
    http://filthysushi.tumblr.com/

"I donít get sick. I donít observe major holidays. Iím a jackhammer.Ē

You talk shit about hockey? *cracks knuckles*
    It's all in the 'stache

Quote Originally Posted by Les Groper
    Where are the greater intellectual discussions about sports these days?
    Haha, good one.
    |\___/|
    | " " |
    ,===__/( \ / )\__===,
    / """ (") """ \
    / " \
    | \_____= =_____/ |
    ,==._/ /\ /^\ /\ \_.==,
    | _ __/" \ |] [| / "\__ _ |

Quote Originally Posted by ben View Post
    Eh, fuck it

People in the US know what happens if you get a concussion or if you use PEDs. That is on them. Do not blame the NFL or MLB or whatever sport for what people do to themselves and/or positions they put themselves into to make money. Yes, the NFL can and should do a better job in treating both current players and retired players, but concussions on their own is something that someone who wants to play football is aware COULD happen. Should we blame the national rock climbing association (if its a thing) because people want to climb Mount Everest and then die? There are risks involved.

As far as PEDs in baseball, its the same logic. They are doing it to themselves Do not blame the media or MLB or whoever you want to shift blame to, away from the player. Its silly to look at anyone other than the player. As far as latino players, yes, that is a legitimate concern and complaint. I will not argue that.

Your comment about the NBA being rigged because of something that happened in 2001 is pretty silly, too. Should we assume that a first grader that cheats on a test should be called a cheater when he is in college? This complaint is near trolling, to be honest.

College football will, in the next 30 years, be more like a farm system for the NFL. This is what I believe you want. That said, if money is such a big issue for these players, why aren't we seeing players go into the CFL, where they can start playing at age 19, or Arena Football where you can play at 18? We are seeing that with high school basketball players going overseas to get pro contracts right away. I haven't seen a football player do this. My thought is that they have an out, use it. Go to college for a year, and if you don't want to stay, go to the CFL. Don't want to risk an injury with no education? Then go the fuck to college.

FIFA sucks, but soccer is god tier.

It really seems like you want to ignore individual or team "funtimes" and just look at silliness going on behind the scenes. If you want to do that, fine, but I'd rather not go through life trying to find the worst in everything.
    I concede your points, however there is that feel when you havent been where Ive been.

Ive spent the last year and a half mostly without a functioning laptop (not anymore) and no tv, so my perspective changed when real life got in the way of the fun distraction of touchdowns and home runs. Its one reason why I quit fantasy football cause Im like, I cant realistically devote my time to this anymore, same goes for the other stuff mentioned. Anytime I watch a game now, I find myself unable to force my attention span to sit through the duration of 4 quarters or 9 innings.

Maybe others would feel differently if they were mostly cut off from that enjoyment, but its where Im at. Sports are still fun, but hardly as interesting as I once viewed it. I like the behind the scenes stuff cause there's more to learn, in my opinion.
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:
    No one.

Is talking.

About.

Just.

Having.

A.

Gun.

At.

Home.

You.

Are.

Ignoring.

The.

Defense.

Of.

Home.

Aspect.

Because.

It.

Trashes.

Your.

Defense.

So.

You.

Focus.

On.

An.

Arbitrary.

Report.

On.

A.

Pointless.

Scenario.

That.

No one.

Was.

Talking.

About.

That's.

Dishonest.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilhelm View Post
    Haha, good one.

the best media journalism/opinion/analysis site on the internet is Grantland.com...heavily rooted in sports

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post

the best media journalism/opinion/analysis site on the internet is Grantland.com...heavily rooted in sports
    I would be fine if Grantland axed its pop culture content from the site entirely. I get that Bill is connected in Hollywood and is based out of LA, but I dont find that aspect of his media empire appealing. He was better off making shitty '80s jokes on the side before he decided to go full steam ahead with that shtick.
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:
    No one.

Is talking.

About.

Just.

Having.

A.

Gun.

At.

Home.

You.

Are.