+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 72 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: NOTHING of SUBSTANCE by WILHELM

Feel like the fur loin-cloth should be wrapping around more like those folds on the waist of C-guy. The way the fur is going up makes it look flat or like he's just holding a cloth in front of his junk.

I like that his face looks like Justin Long.
    "It was the best of times...it was Tebow Time."

Quote Originally Posted by Mee View Post
    looks like Justin Long.
    haha
    |\___/|
    | " " |
    ,===__/( \ / )\__===,
    / """ (") """ \
    / " \
    | \_____= =_____/ |
    ,==._/ /\ /^\ /\ \_.==,
    | _ __/" \ |] [| / "\__ _ |

Now I am back to trying to figure out how busy to get and how to do blacks with ink
    and the fastest way to color and keep it looking comic booky and not just do the
    "black on 40% opacity" Scooby Doo trick for shadows and use colors instead.

I was doing his head white with light blue shadows but now I've been using the
    yellow from his belt buckle turned up light and then darker for shadows and I think
    it looks better, dirtier like an old sheep dog.

Also I saw a childhood toy on youtube
    and thought, "He's got to make a cameo
    appearance in the crowds of mutants."
    And then I thought, "I should have a
    bunch of cool cameos among the mutants."
    Since it is a pain in the ass to try to
    draw likenesses, I traced:

- Harold from original Fallout

- Bigfoot from The Six Million Dollar Man in the '70s

to see how they'd look.
    |\___/|
    | " " |
    ,===__/( \ / )\__===,
    / """ (") """ \
    / " \
    | \_____= =_____/ |
    ,==._/ /\ /^\ /\ \_.==,

Harold looks sweet

Man am I excited.
    I really want the guy to look like he does in my head, but it has been an impossible pain in the ass to draw him like that.
    Now I realized that in all of the coloring tutorials I've watched, the artists use a million layers.
    I wanted to keep it simple and thought they were insane. (And stupidly, subconsciously, I still think like I'm drawing on paper, like, "Careful, don't waste all those expensive layers of paper.")
    But now I realize I was being too stingy with layers.

It's actually easier to get it to look right if I just draw him naked and color his body jumpsuit.

Then I can use the "clip at layer below" thing to quickly slather the oil stains on his legs without thinking and they won't go outside the border.

Then I wanted him to wear one leg of hi-tech transparent force field armor.
    I can just swoop two lines with the parallel line tool, while it is set to Eraser Tool
    and it makes it more ornate without looking too prefab.
    Best of all, I like cheered out loud when I figured it out,
    The FUCKING white Santa Claus stripes on his jacket,
    I have never been able to get it to look right.
    I figured out I can just use the Marker Tool, which has a uniform thickness,
    and just trace the inside edge of his jacket with the outside edge of the Marker Tool cursor, over the orange
    so it looks more like clothing.
    But I can still outline that with the normal pen, so it looks more organically done by a hand.

It really has that look of good '80s Keith Giffen when he started straight rippin' Kirby, like Ambush Bug era.

Then, it has been so lame trying to color in his black neck when I've already drawn the
    beard, with all of that fur coming down over it, and it's very hard to maintain fluid fur lines on his face
    when you're trying to avoid drawing over his glasses.
    So why do it?!
    I'll just ink/color his whole body, headless, then do just the furry head on a different layer, like this:

I found it was way easier to reduce the opacity and just pretend I'm drawing fur over the pencils with the color first,
    then just go back and ink the actual drawing over the color.

and then slap the glasses on.
    Even cooler, it's fucking hard to draw the glasses.
    I have to try, delete and try again a million times.
    Then I figured out, the Word Balloon Tool has a variation, it's a Word Balloon Pen.
    You can just draw a word balloon freehand and once you do a closed shape, bloop, it's an editable balloon.
    So I can use that and just draw a "balloon" over each of his eye areas,
    make sure they look roughly symmetrical, and then, if you draw a worm between the two balloons, it all joins together into one shape,
    making the thing over his nose.
    Then you just set the Paint Filler to leave a rim of white and do the pink highlights by hand.

Oops, I forgot I wanted a knee pad on his leg armor.
    Slap on another layer.

Then I remembered that I forgot his shoulder pad.
    It's actually better to do it on its own layer...get the anatomy right underneath first,
    so it'll really look like a 3D thing resting on his shoulder.
    This was giving me trouble before.

A lot of steps, but way quicker than trying to just finish it all as one inked picture.
    Like, if I do the turquoise suit first, and put the jacket on another layer,
    I'm able to quickly do the chest wrinkles on the suit without trying to carefully make the lines stop perfectly before crossing the lines of the jacket,
    and that way they'll be more fluid and I can concentrate on suggesting the shape of his torso instead of being stressed out and frustrated.

It's also okay to put all of that effort into his costume and not do it with all of the other characters
    'cause he is supposed to be a space man that traveled to the moon with a lot of gear,
    where he found a bunch of filthy mutants dressed in rags and crap.

Now I have to see how hard it is to apply all of those layers when he's at different angles and foreshortened instead of dressing a paper doll
    but it's got to be easier and that is the most I've ever seen one of my drawings look like I picture him in my head. ( mainly 'cause I finally figured out how to do those fucking white stripes on his fucking jacket. )

(Except I didn't do his backpack and sniper rifle on his back yet. khhhhhh)

(Comic will be done in 2025.)
    |\___/|
    | " " |
    ,===__/( \ / )\__===,
    / """ (") """ \
    / " \
    | \_____= =_____/ |
    ,==._/ /\ /^\ /\ \_.==,

Art is a journey

digging the progress photos and commentary. keep doing those!

wilhelm you should also draw goldblum
    wow

Pretty cool, I was dreading the fact that the Pussy Is Glowing Guy is in the comic because he was draped in a black sheet and I can't draw cloth folds, wtf? So I tried to see if I even can draw him and, though this is a total bullshitting my way through cloth drawing, I tried a layer trick. I set the pen to Calligraphy Pen and tried to swoop like sheets of fabric down over the pre-drawn body to try to get how they'd hang off of him and it came out better than I thought it would, for the first time I've ever gotten up the ballz to try to draw someone wrapped in a sheet.

It looks cool b+w. His wrapped up feet, I totally got the Will Eisner, Wally Wood kind of old feel i wanted. Wish I could ink everything as good as I got his feet but, whatever.

Now...the dreaded...background.
    |\___/|
    | " " |
    ,===__/( \ / )\__===,
    / """ (") """ \
    / " \
    | \_____= =_____/ |
    ,==._/ /\ /^\ /\ \_.==,

That has a great sense of weight and volume to it. The only place that really loses me is the bulge on the screen right shoulder.

+ Reply to Thread