+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 72 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: NOTHING of SUBSTANCE by WILHELM

NOTHING of SUBSTANCE by WILHELM

Duuuuuuuuuuuudes

1) I thought my art thread was carried over from LSP. shoot

2) So I built the computer, hooked up the Cintiq, only had autodesk sketchpad express at first, tried to draw, it looked like poo...big round "markers" and dead, very digital lines, saw no evidence of pressure sensitivity.

- It was daunting, how foreign it felt to draw upright on a screen with a fake pen, after drawing on typing paper with a mechanical pencil for my whole life, but it has gotten noticeably easier each night.

- I was waiting for Manga Studio EX5 to arrive, 'cause that was the software I'd heard all these retroid artists rave about, how it has better brushes than even photoshop, etc.

- It arrived and I've just been fucking around with it, figuring out a little more about how to use it each night. ('cause their manual/tutorials are dogshit) Haven't "customized workflow" or anything.

But hardly knowing how to use it, and without spending much time, just fucking around, last night, I figured I'd better buckle down a little and try to draw the protagonist from one of my two comics I've been working on for the past year and a half...and it is sick how he came out looking s0 close to exactly how I picture him in my mind, in color, etc.

The big thing I love is, I have never been a colorist, I've been scared to have to start for these comics...but I've studied old comics for so long, I could see in my mind exactly that fast+cheap way they used to do metallic stuff, like the barrel of his^ sniper rifle on his back up there.
    Look at that, it totally looks like it's out of a crappy 70's comic, like 70's Legion of Superheroes or something!1!

The stars, I just put black behind and painted on white particles, but I didn't even think, at first, of how if you reduce the opacity, it looks faded like when Kirby used crappy newsprint photos in with the drawings, like:

~ do not look at Jack Kirby/Joe Sinnot art on same page as mine - photo is only for reference to Kirby collage technique only ~

Fucking excited how easy it was and trying to figure out how I'm going to sit here at work for 8 hours a day/5 days a weeks now.
    |\___/|
    | " " |
    ,===__/( \ / )\__===,
    / """ (") """ \
    / " \
    | \_____= =_____/ |
    ,==._/ /\ /^\ /\ \_.==,
    | _ __/" \ |] [| / "\__ _ |

You should probably just quit your job and draw all day

I was thinking about that hard last night when I had to stop to go to bed rather than draw in the planetoid he's supposed to be standing on .

But then you have to make sure you're making art that people will buy, or you do not get to eat food stuffs in-doors,
    and you have to spend all day promoting yourself, making sure everyone knows to "follow me on facebook and Twitter "
    and you have to produce on a regular basis rather than when you're inspired, or you're a pariah, like when Kevin Smith couldn't finish that Daredevil stuff he did, and none of that stuff sounds good to me at all.
    |\___/|
    | " " |
    ,===__/( \ / )\__===,
    / """ (") """ \
    / " \
    | \_____= =_____/ |
    ,==._/ /\ /^\ /\ \_.==,

Draw a tiger on a branch.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilhelm View Post
    I was thinking about that hard last night when I had to stop to go to bed rather than draw in the planetoid he's supposed to be standing on .

But then you have to make sure you're making art that people will buy, or you do not get to eat food stuffs in-doors,
    and you have to spend all day promoting yourself, making sure everyone knows to "follow me on facebook and Twitter "
    and you have to produce on a regular basis rather than when you're inspired, or you're a pariah, like when Kevin Smith couldn't finish that Daredevil stuff he did, and none of that stuff sounds good to me at all.
    Building yourself up with a community via twitter and other social networking sites is a great help to promote your product and also to meet great and likeminded people along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Erzengel View Post
    Draw a tiger on a branch.
    What will you give me in return?
    |\___/|
    | " " |
    ,===__/( \ / )\__===,
    / """ (") """ \
    / " \
    | \_____= =_____/ |
    ,==._/ /\ /^\ /\ \_.==,

Is that a handjob using the Force?