+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sufjan Stevens

Sufjan Stevens

The Age of Adz has been out for almost a month now. I wanted to wait awhile before really talking about it.

Wow, it is totally his best stuff. He has gone away from his softer/accoustic stuff to something that I think is pure genius. Impossible Soul? Man, one of the best new songs I have heard in ages. I saw him live at SMU a couple weeks ago and he played Adz in its entirety at that show. It really sounds better live, which may have an impact on how I view the album, but whatever...

Zestful Foam of vengeance Mr Sparkle's Avatar
    I'm getting old, and I say this mostly because Sufjan has been less and less listened to at the Sparkle household.
    I think he is getting a little stale, he is very versatile but I was unimpressed.
    Now I have to give another listen and see what I can come up with, maybe I just get saturated with an artist I love sometimes, I really don't know why.
    I'm disrespectful to dirt!
    Can you see I am serious!? Get out of my way, all of you! This is no place for loafers.
    Join me or die. Can you do any less? For lucky best wash, use Mr. Sparkle.

Check that out. He himself said he has been tired of the type of music he was making 5 years ago and has been desperate to branch out, but felt pressured into that genre.

I dunno. I've honestly never branched out my listening of his stuff other than Illinois, because I heard from several people it wouldn't get any better than that album.

I adore Illinois, it's a fantastic album and I never tire of it. That song you posted is intriguing, but it feels forced to me. All the distortion and ambient noise just detracts from the beautiful melodies this guy produces. But that's just me.
    Last edited by jackrabbit; 11-04-2010 at 10:34 PM.

Ben convinced to listen to sufjan again, I liked enjoy your rabbit and this album seems like a more appropriate following to that, like he actually progressed.
    wearing wings at his concert was still pretty faggy though.
    Can you see I am serious!? Get out of my way, all of you! This is no place for loafers.

Well I have to thank Ben.

I had pretty much given up on Sufjan Stevens, I mean, he was kind of what I thought was a hipster blip, far, very far off my radar.
    what struck me about "The Age Of Adz" is how much it sounds like what I expect Sufjan to eventually sound after "enjoy your rabbit" seems like a more polished Dntel to me.
    his lyrics though, almost always straddle the fence between ambiguous or a little to whiny to me. it's all that early 00's touchy-feely sound that was all the rage.
    you can tell though that he and whoever was at the ready to help him out love music.
    there's a palpable audiophile's sensitivity to the record and even with all the layers it manages to not go the way of saturated vanity projects.
    now, I am fully aware that any and all critique of music is personal and based upon nothing BUT opinion, but I have to kind of kick myself about completely dismissing this dude.

well, I guess I have to go listen to that Adam Lambert cd now.

Sufjan's new album comes out later this month, but it already leaked. Someone posted that it leaked on reddit, and his record label posted in the thread basically saying "go ahead and download it and if you like it, buy it later".

http://www.reddit.com/r/indieheads/c...ll_has_leaked/

http://filthysushi.tumblr.com/

"I donít get sick. I donít observe major holidays. Iím a jackhammer.Ē

Hey, so this album is fucking great
    http://filthysushi.tumblr.com/

"I donít get sick. I donít observe major holidays. Iím a jackhammer.Ē

I should prob get back to listening to this I got like 3rd row tix. Brb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mee View Post
    "oh I wouldn't want to go there. They're fighting in the streets there. BLACK LIVES MATTER. BLACK LIVES MATTER. *fist pumping* THAT'S what they're saying there."

Quote Originally Posted by ben View Post
    Sufjan's new album comes out later this month, but it already leaked. Someone posted that it leaked on reddit, and his record label posted in the thread basically saying "go ahead and download it and if you like it, buy it later".

http://www.reddit.com/r/indieheads/c...ll_has_leaked/

dope thx ben

+ Reply to Thread