+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wilhelm's World of Seattle

This is so cool. Just needs a head.

It's called "Traditional" because it has the "Traditional" weight relief holes, as opposed to the semi-chamberd bodies most Gibon's have, or more extensive weight relief.

Here's a neat little diagram:

The Bigger the bill, the harder you ball.

Delightful. It IS hella light. That swiss cheese looks like a kidney disease. gross
    |\___/|
    | " " |
    ,===__/( \ / )\__===,
    / """ (") """ \
    / " \
    | \_____= =_____/ |
    ,==._/ /\ /^\ /\ \_.==,
    | _ __/" \ |] [| / "\__ _ |

best thread on dkb
    wow

Wilhelm, I'm going to buy a new guitar soon. I'll make a huge thread when I finally get it.

The only thing that is holding me up is trying to find the right one.

you don't get to bring friends Jolly Johnny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Star View Post
    best thread on dkb
    FO reals. That graffiti is totally boss.
    My brother and I always tried to make swords out of aluminum window sections. Then duel, my brother always calling for the power of Greyskull.

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    Wilhelm, I'm going to buy a new guitar soon. I'll make a huge thread when I finally get it.

The only thing that is holding me up is trying to find the right one.
    That's why I love that Trad Pro, my guitar lust is cured. Whenever I used to see thousands of dollars accumulating, I'd be like "Ooh, what kind of guitar to get?1" and now when that starts, I stop and realize I don't need to go hunting for a good one anymore.

Are you strictly Gibson or are you gonna get a B.C. Rich with batwings carved in it or a leopard skin Paul Reed Smith or something?
    |\___/|
    | " " |
    ,===__/( \ / )\__===,
    / """ (") """ \
    / " \
    | \_____= =_____/ |
    ,==._/ /\ /^\ /\ \_.==,

Quote Originally Posted by Wilhelm View Post
    That's why I love that Trad Pro, my guitar lust is cured. Whenever I used to see thousands of dollars accumulating, I'd be like "Ooh, what kind of guitar to get?1" and now when that starts, I stop and realize I don't need to go hunting for a good one anymore.

Are you strictly Gibson or are you gonna get a B.C. Rich with batwings carved in it or a leopard skin Paul Reed Smith or something?
    Honestly, I'm strictly a tone geek.

I go for whatever guitar helps me get to where I'm trying to go based on the tone I can hear in between my ears.

I'm in a Les Paul phase right now and I'm seeking out Norlin-Era 70's Gibson Les Paul Custom's from about 1973-1979.

I have my '79 Silverburst which is exactly what I've described above, and now I'm seeking out a '73 - '78 Les Paul Custom in Cherry Sunburst. I also want to get a Black Beauty Custom with a Maple Neck, and an Ox Blood Custom.

After that, I think I'll go back to my love of Gibson SG's and seek out an early 60's Les Paul Custom SG in antique White.

I wouldn't say that I'm strictly Gibson, but I really like the sound of a Les Paul, and I like the odd build qualities and attributes of the 70's Norlin-Era Gibson's -- that is, pancake bodies, volutes, that stupid base-plate thing, three piece maple necks, etc.

I also like Fender Strat's, but I don't get too crazy with them and try to keep them sounding like Fender Start's, so no crazy dual humbucker combo's, or Floyd Rose shenanigans, or coil-splitting ambiguity. I like mostly 70's Strat's with the big headstocks and the bullet truss rod and the 3-bolt neck joint and the mint green pickguards.

When it comes to guitars, I like to keep it as simple as possible.

I'm not really into the super hot-rodded Jackson flying V with Floyd Rose Tremolo, or Girl with the Dragon Tattoo Custom PRS Finish, or Super-Strat's in bright neon colors with active pickups, or anything like that.

Amplifiers are a totally different story, but you already know about that quest, haha.

So, when I say: "It just comes down to finding the right one," I mean to say, that it comes to down finding someone who has a '73 - '78 Les Paul Custom in Cherry Sunburst for sale with all of the original tunners, German Schaller Hardware, original case, etc.

If I can get it for a good deal, then I'm going to try to get it for a good deal, but guitars like I've described usually go on sale for the $2,900 - 3,100 range.
    Last edited by Xavier; 03-14-2012 at 05:16 AM.

I finally went back to a semi-complex set-up: I'm using a VHT 100/CL which I use entirely for the 50/100 watt settings, Class A and Class A/B options; if I'm playing in small venues, I can just use the 50 watt setting in Class A mode and still get awesome cranked El34 TONE; if I want to go full rock-star mode, I have 100 Watt in Class A/B mode, or really any combination of the four.

I'm back to using my old ADA MP-1 preamp for all of my tones, my Furman PQ-3 as my "secret weapon," and my Rocktron Intelliflex for all of my effects. I use a Monster Power conditioner, and I just got this cool red MXR Limiter that I'm going to start using as a compressor.

I have three main sounds: clean for my Holdsworth-type chordal voicings; Djenty rhythm as my main rhythm sound that's really tight kinda start/stop modern tone but with my own twist; and lead with more gain, bass, and mids than my rhythm sound with a little delay.

If I could give you an idea of what all of these sound like, it's something like a combination of all of these three sounds:

Cleans:

Rhythms:

Leads:

If you don't believe me, then I can just make a video for you on request, but that's kind of what my set-up sounds like right now.

Though, I might go back to using a Diezel VH4, but keep the Furman PQ 3 and Rocktron and the MXR Limiter.

Haha, but who knows, tho?

My set-up changes on a regular basis, and there isn't a day that goes by where I don't play around with settings or twist knobs.

I, I believe you..Joseph.
    |\___/|
    | " " |
    ,===__/( \ / )\__===,
    / """ (") """ \
    / " \
    | \_____= =_____/ |
    ,==._/ /\ /^\ /\ \_.==,

+ Reply to Thread