PDA

View Full Version : Pianotic Handjobs

Kipobe
04-01-2011, 08:16 AM
I'm a pianist, a piano enthusiast, and a general supporter of the overall piano movement of the last millenium. I have spent roughly 61% of my life listening to piano covers on Youtube (statistically not possible) and I squeal like a girl getting her first sybian ride whenever I hit a good one.

Here's what I've been listening to all morning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keE9CGGE6G0

I spent three months getting this stupid song out of my head until EML posted the video yesterday. I wanted an office-friendly verson I can play when people come into my office so I'm listening to this one.

Post some good stuff you find.

Erzengel
04-01-2011, 03:00 PM
I wanted to have sex with the pianist on the Cruise ship we were on. I don't even know what she sounds like when she talks. Also, the piano playing I can only assume did a number on her hands. Do piano players generally have nice looking hands? Also Adrien Brody was in the Pianist.

Kipobe
04-01-2011, 03:29 PM
Yes to most of that.

Daisy
04-01-2011, 03:35 PM
That piano needs tuning. :(

Wilhelm
04-01-2011, 04:28 PM
Usually I hate piano, 'cause you can't bend notes on a piano. It's the Whitest instrument of all.
But, it has it's uses sometimes. :shrug:

Kipobe
04-01-2011, 04:38 PM
That piano needs tuning. :(
ALL the pianos need tuning. ALL!

Usually I hate piano, 'cause you can't bend notes on a piano. It's the Whitest instrument of all.
But, it has it's uses sometimes. :shrug:

Yeah, I sometimes wish I had gotten into guitar when I was a kid... I was at a friend's house Sunday gone and he had a guitar there, and I was strumming away (I'm not very good at all) and I just felt "cooler". Put I get a lot of pleasure playing the piano. I could sit and play for myself and receive just as much enjoyment as if I were nailing a concert for thousands... though I imagine the energy would be better for the latter.

I don't have a piano anymore. :(

Erzengel
04-01-2011, 04:39 PM
My parents had a piano in their home for almost 20 years. The furthest I ever got was playing Camptown Races......

Kipobe
04-01-2011, 04:59 PM
Your parents hated each other, Erz.

Erzengel
04-01-2011, 05:58 PM
I played that song every time they fought.

Daisy
04-01-2011, 06:03 PM
ALL the pianos need tuning. ALL!

Not electric pianos. They stay perfectly in tune.

Daisy
04-01-2011, 06:06 PM
My parents had a piano in their home for almost 20 years. The furthest I ever got was playing Camptown Races......

I actually play fairly well, but very few people keep their pianos well in tune and it drives me nuts.

Wilhelm
04-01-2011, 06:10 PM
I played that song every time they fought.HAhahaha, that's gotta be in a movie. Sad little boy playing camptown races slowly while parents are yelling. hahaha

Wilhelm
04-01-2011, 06:16 PM
I actually play fairly well, but very few people keep their pianos well in tune and it drives me nuts.It seems like it may be related to income because while I've worked here I've noticed that the super wealthy residents get their pianos tuned all the time...like, too often...like, they can't play worth shit and they try to convince themselves that the piano must be out of tune, almost.
Everyone I know below the super-wealthy line either wouldn't ever own a piano, or they own one but would never pay some weird East European midget to come over and tune it for them.

And speaking as a guitarist, I also think it's weird that I don't think I've ever met a piano player who just learned to tune their own piano.

Daisy
04-01-2011, 06:20 PM
There's no such thing as tuning a piano too often.

Wilhelm
04-01-2011, 06:30 PM
Well it's like too often.

Kipobe
04-01-2011, 06:31 PM
Daisy, kitten, you would've been proud of me. I got my piano tuned regularly. :up:

Kipobe
04-01-2011, 06:32 PM
Also, my piano was in tune because someone came around to tune it often.

Daisy
04-01-2011, 06:36 PM
How often?

Lackey
04-01-2011, 06:36 PM
how much does it usually cost to tune a piano?

my parents still have the piano that's been in our house since I was around 5 years old... I can only remember them getting it tuned once.

Kipobe
04-01-2011, 06:40 PM
How often?

Once every two months... but I was using it daily (though not vigorously). We both play, and I'd say it got an hour or two workout each day. It was well used and well serviced.

This is sounding dirty. :huh:

Kipobe
04-01-2011, 06:42 PM

my parents still have the piano that's been in our house since I was around 5 years old... I can only remember them getting it tuned once.

Your parents hate each other too.

Typically it'd cost somewhere between 100 - 120 bucks each time... and you'll find that a lot of them are blind. It's a job a blind person can do because it doesn't require sight as much and it earns them good money.

We had a guy on retainer so it was cheaper.

Kipobe
04-01-2011, 06:44 PM
And speaking as a guitarist, I also think it's weird that I don't think I've ever met a piano player who just learned to tune their own piano.

Do you also wonder why piano owners hire people to move their pianos as well when they move home instead of doing it themselves?

Wilhelm
04-01-2011, 06:47 PM
No 'cause the majority of pianos couldn't be moved by one person but the tuner is always one singular, swarthy dude.

Daisy
04-01-2011, 06:59 PM

Somewhere between $50 and $200 depending on where you live. The longer it's been since its last tuning, the more expensive it'll be... partly because it'll need a rough tune (raises the pitch - pianos go flat over time as the strings loosen) before any fine tuning can be done. Plus, pianos that haven't been tuned regularly generally need several tunings (shortly-spaced) to get them back... and if it's been a really long time... sometimes they just can't ever be truly brought back in tune due to the presense of bends in the strings (where they were around tuning pegs) creating permanent false beats (also, the strings can end up breaking when tuned). In that case... a piano needs to be restrung.

Once every two months... but I was using it daily (though not vigorously). We both play, and I'd say it got an hour or two workout each day. It was well used and well serviced.

This is sounding dirty. :huh:

That's pretty good. Monthly would've been better, but... that's way better than most.

Lackey
04-01-2011, 07:03 PM
Your parents hate each other too.

awww man :(

Kipobe
04-01-2011, 07:12 PM
No 'cause the majority of pianos couldn't be moved by one person but the tuner is always one singular, swarthy dude.
Honestly, it's kind've in the same category as hiring someone to clean your home. I know how to change the oil in a car, but I'd never do it. I'd rather hire a professional. If you own a piano, and you're concerned about getting it tuned, I can't see that person being a piano tuner too just to save a few bucks. It cost me around 250/year (like I said, we got a deal as we knew of the guy)... that's not worth the time/effort it would take for me to do it myself.

That's pretty good. Monthly would've been better, but... that's way better than most.

I thought I was doing overkill with the two months... but at about 50+ days I could start to hear it going out of tune... but definitely still bearable.

Kipobe
04-01-2011, 07:13 PM
awww man :(

It's okay. They both love me. :huh:

Daisy
04-01-2011, 07:20 PM
I thought I was doing overkill with the two months... but at about 50+ days I could start to hear it going out of tune... but definitely still bearable.

Technically, pianos should be tuned every time you play them... the same as any other string instrument. Concert pianos and piano recording arists when in the studio have them tuned prior to every performance/session.

Kipobe
04-01-2011, 07:39 PM
Yeah, but again we're talking about use relative to it's audience. I mean, a basketball team practices for hours before each game... but everytime I play basketball I warm up for about 5 - 10 minutes first.

Daisy
04-01-2011, 07:45 PM
I understand, but if you're playing every day... monthly tuning isn't unreasonable.

It's just, you know, many people have this idea that pianos actually hold their tune. They do better than say a guitar, but they don't as well as people think... it's just that most people's ears aren't particularly practiced.

Wilhelm
04-01-2011, 08:02 PM
Piano is okay but I could not condone any kind of inhumane piano, such as this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSDV1rbmeXo

Kipobe
04-01-2011, 08:05 PM
I understand, but if you're playing every day... monthly tuning isn't unreasonable.

It's just, you know, many people have this idea that pianos actually hold their tune. They do better than say a guitar, but they don't as well as people think... it's just that most people's ears aren't particularly practiced.

No yeah, I know some people who never get it done. Like Erz and Lackey's parents for example.

Daisy
04-01-2011, 08:07 PM
My dad quit having my family's piano tuned once I moved out of the house. I can't touch it anymore. It's like chalk on a blackboard to me now.

Erzengel
04-01-2011, 08:20 PM
Yeah. My family sold off our old piano when they sold the house. Partially because it was too heavy to move. I don't think they had it tuned too many times.

Faustus
04-01-2011, 09:46 PM
Has anybody else been reading this as "Platonic Handjobs?"
Because that's a great fucking idea.

Just a couple of bros giving each other handjobs. Platonically.
No Homo.

Faustus
04-01-2011, 09:48 PM
There's nothing gay about that.

Kipobe
04-02-2011, 10:23 PM
Why does the platonic element mean it has to be all guys?

Faustus
04-02-2011, 10:29 PM
Because that's how I imagined it.
Whatever

Sandman
03-20-2012, 02:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRUWtrgTpcs

Sandman
03-26-2012, 06:10 PM
I don't like Skrillex. But apparently one of his songs makes for a lovely piano arrangement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmJ2QRGghtY&

Babs
03-27-2012, 09:09 PM
:inlove:

Yes it does!

Sandman
03-27-2012, 09:14 PM
She makes a few mistakes but the only other person who played it well looked like a total douche and I just couldn't post his performance in good conscience.

Sandman
03-28-2012, 12:38 AM
http://youtu.be/Jez-i9u2g1g

This guy actually managed to pull off the bass drops in the song. Probably the best version.

Babs
03-28-2012, 12:56 AM
sheeeeee-it.

Sandman
03-28-2012, 09:21 PM
I have come to the conclusion that Skrillex is a magnificent composer who just insists on playing his compositions in the shittiest possible way.:iwonder:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FhLVKaXs4I

http://youtu.be/o2ZoIdcAWzA

Babs
04-03-2012, 02:38 PM
You can buy his covers on iTunes and CDBaby apparently.

Babs
04-03-2012, 02:45 PM
E03xYFJIMi0

yayyy