PDA

View Full Version : Marco Polo (Netflix)

Faustus
01-23-2015, 09:35 PM
What to say about this show? I'll say this - You can see all 90 million dollars that Netflix invested in this show on the screen.

Aside from that, it's pretty much a mess. A beautiful mess. The main character is for the majority of the series, uncharismatic and I think it has a real problem with being narratively inconsistent. Things aren't set up well and come out of left field. Other things are set up, and not much is done with them.
Then there's the problem of it's tone. Personally it doesn't bother me as much, but most critics point out that the series wants to be an intelligent political drama half of the time, and pulpy genre fare the other half of the time. Also, even though many dramatic events are unfolding, you often feel like nothing is happening.

I got through it because I find the Mongol culture to be fascinating, and I wanted to be given a tour of the Mongol kingdom through the eyes of Marco Polo.
Benedict Wong is fucking awesome as Kublai Khan and if you have nothing better to do, it's worth watching if only for the spectacle. There's plenty of hot Asian nudity as well.

TL;DR
This show looks good and can be engaging at times, but doesn't have much focus or consistency. Watch if you like Mongols, naked Asian girls, or Benedict Wong.

* If you're into the history aspect of the Mongols, I cannot recommend enough Dan Carlin's 5 part podcast series on the subject, "The Wrath of the Khans"
http://www.dancarlin.com/hardcore-history-series/

Alex
01-23-2015, 09:44 PM
I watched the first episode a while ago, and yeah it's kinda meh.

It's not like House Of Cards where I was like "Oh my shit I need to binge this fucking thing". With Marco Polo it's like "meh I'll watch episode 2 one day"

Faustus
01-23-2015, 09:49 PM
Yea, it almost seems like Netflix's first big misstep, although I think they can turn it into something really special if they fix the problems that everyone's pointing out.
You don't want to spend 10 percent of a billion dollars for everyone to go, "meh"

Lackey
01-26-2015, 05:31 PM
I think enough people are liking it considering that it got renewed for a second season

You want to watch some hardcore awesomeness, watch Peaky Blinders

EML
01-26-2015, 07:00 PM
Peaky Blinders :up:

Wilford Brimley
01-27-2015, 11:16 AM
Yes!

Mee
01-27-2015, 12:27 PM
Is there ever a scene where someone's like, Marco! And then someone else is like, Polo!

?

Lackey
01-27-2015, 04:14 PM
Is there ever a scene where someone's like, Marco! And then someone else is like, Polo!

?

All. The. Time

Mee
01-27-2015, 05:06 PM
Added to queue

Hudson
02-06-2015, 12:36 PM
Marco Polo as a main character wasn't that interesting.

Faustus
02-06-2015, 01:22 PM
I would have stopped watching it if Kublai wasn't in it so much. Marco Polo can't carry the show on his own.
I think that may have to do with him actually being Italian and a non English speaker until recently. His acting is a little (lot?) wooden.