PDA

View Full Version : Spin and Axis (Sci fi novels by Robert Charles Wilson)

KaineDamo
12-10-2010, 11:05 AM
They're two seperate books, not one singular book with the faggy name 'Spin and Axis'. I wanted to clear that up right off the bat.

So I just got done reading the second book and I wanted to share my thoughts overall, on the story so far. The third book in the Spin series, Vortex, should be out sometime in 2011.

Because of the nature of the storytelling style of Spin, in which many chapters end with either mind shattering revelations or cliff hangers that keep you on reading onto the next chapter, I would recommend that if you haven't read these books, you pick 'em up and read them knowing as little about them as possible. In fact, I'd say the bit on the back of BOTH books spoils too much. Especially the second book. Seriously, the synopsis on the back of the second book practically tells you all the major plot developments.

All I will tell you about the plot is this -

Spin is about the stars disappearing from the sky, and the subsequent mystery surrounding it, and the Earth shattering revelations about the nature of the phenomenon.

I cannot tell you what Axis is about without totally spoiling major developments in Spin. Don't even google it.

Why Spin is so good - The mystery of the phenomenon of the stars disappearing is a fascinating one and is a constant source of intrigue, that leads on into further mysteries, and the science fiction concepts are so original and imaginative, all the while a high amount of emphasis is placed on characters. I would say the book is succesful (a Hugo award winner) primarily because of the focus on characters.

jackrabbit
12-10-2010, 05:21 PM
Someone actually handed me a free copy of Spin at Comic Con a few years ago. Still haven't read it.

KaineDamo
12-10-2010, 06:53 PM
You know, I also had a copy of Spin and did not read it for years.

When I did eventually get around to it after probably 4 years, I thought it was really great! Read it!