PDA

View Full Version : Is my taste in music weird?

KaineDamo
02-03-2014, 04:55 AM
I mean, sometimes I forget just how subjective taste in music is, and so when I try to show people what I'm listening to, sometimes they're not all that enthusiastic and I'm like... huh?! :huh:

I get very fixated on certain tunes, and will basically listen to the same playlist for... years, really. I blame this on being borderline autistic. So, I listen to a lot of the same stuff almost constantly, and then people don't even really respond, when I play it for them or send it to them. But anyway, one of the tunes I can't stop listening to is this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr8SLofdGqQ

That fucking rocks.

I discovered that one... what, like a year ago? And I've lost track of how many times I've smoked some weed and wrote some stories while jamming out to that one. Have also listened to it while reading Stephen King's Dark Tower and the dark, sombre tone of the song fits surprisingly well, especially with the later books, and it also fits during the more action-y bits.

I mean listen to that shit. It's SO good. It's got this whole primal drum thing going on. BOOM Dun dun! BOOM Dun dun!

Like I can't even type it out phonetically when it goes all crazy.

And it does this whole, calm relaxing bit, and makes ya half think its over, then starts up again better than ever. It has a sweet build.

I'm not sure about the bit after 6 minutes, its like a different song altogether that doesn't really belong, so I tend to skip that bit.

Akira Yamaoka, also, is the shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLhtDJnPKBs

What's weird about that song is, and it doesn't matter if its an mp3 version you downloaded, or which video on youtube you've found that song on, is there's a noticable decline in the sound quality whenever you don't have good speakers attached.

Try it from just your computer's in built speakers, then try it with headphones or good speakers you can plug in. There really is something missing when ya don't have good speakers. It's like a key instrument just disappears, or something.

Anyway, beautiful tune, been listening to that one for years.

kypade
02-03-2014, 05:22 AM
second one is pretty sweet. first one I don't have the patience to listen to more than like, forty five seconds.

kypade
02-03-2014, 05:24 AM
as for if it's weird? depends...are you listening exclusively to video game soundtracks? and only a handful of em over and over and over? that's probably weird, yeah. but just enjoying atmospheric instrumentals is hardly weird.

Jake
02-03-2014, 06:56 PM
it's not weird to be enthusiastic about a musical genre that most people aren't into listening to (divorced from the game anyway)

but it is weird to expect people to be into it

Wilhelm
02-03-2014, 07:34 PM
I mean, sometimes I forget just how subjective taste in music is, and so when I try to show people what I'm listening to, sometimes they're not all that enthusiastic and I'm like... huh?! :huh:

I get very fixated on certain tunes, and will basically listen to the same playlist for... years, really. I blame this on being borderline autistic.Nonsense.

You must be extremely sheltered.

Music is a dream.

It's very rare that when you have a fucking amazing dream and tell people how amazing yer dream was, that they will give a fuck.

With very close friends, I can ask them to check out a new song that has blasted it's way onto my permanent life playlist, and they will exclaim about how cool it is, yeah, I am right, it is so cool...but they NEVER, start listening to that song on their own.
And the other way around.

I got heavily into K-Pop and Turkish Rap and I showed my favorite songs to everyone I know and they talked briefly about how "Yeah, that's cool. lol, that's so weird. Cool. Wicked. :up:" (and we are not the kind of friends who lie to be polite at all)

Years later, my one friend just told me that she has this K-Pop song stuck in her head. And it turns out it was not one of the ones I told her about. She never even checked out the ones I told her were awesome. SHE EVEN WATCHED DARK PLACE AND OFFERED NO COMMENT, AFTER I TOLD HER SHE HAD TO WATCH DARK PLACE!!!!!!!!

None of them jumped on the Turkish Rap band wagon.

My other friend fucking loves the new eminem and plays it all day and all night.

He showed it to me, and I explained why it sucks ballz, but pointed out the few undeniably cool (and brief) parts.

I will not listen to that shit, even though it has some genius stuff in it.

Let me explain how it works.
There's a reason there's a KISS Army, and then Everyone Else.
You do not get turned on to music and then turn your loved ones onto it.
You get turned on to music, and now, like it or not, you are in a small community of "Fans of That Music"...and you go to them to bro down about the music.
That is why WE fight about whether or not Captain America should have wings on his head in the movies, and my close friends and I, do not, even though they like Marvel Movies.
If the other fans are insufferable (KISS Army, Heavy Metal, Gangsta Rap, Hipster Rock, K-Pop, etc.) then, you are alone. You do not get to bro down very much.

And the notion that playing the same playlist over and over again for years, is "autism", is absurd. People think I'm autistic because I don't have an orgasm over food or sports, so, leaving me out of it...all music lovers I have ever known, have playlists they return to for years. :o:rolleyes:

In other words, no, you're not special.
You may be Best in the World, but you're not some rare music savant.
It's like this for tons of people.

I love,

Steve Miller
Black Sabbath
Annie Lennox
Turkish Rap
German Rap
K-Pop
Yes
King Crimson
Tin Machine
The Music From Final Fantasy 12
Die Antwoord
Heart
The Beatles
Marilyn Manson
Keith Green
Jethro Tull
Twizted
Wagner

Also, there are whole magazines devoted to fucking movie score fanatics, who hate Hans Zimmer like comic geeks hate Rob Liefeld, etc.
They listen to 80 minutes of ambient music like teenage girls listen to Miley.

your worst thread

ThePoler
04-25-2014, 01:29 AM
Nonsense.

You must be extremely sheltered.

Music is a dream.

It's very rare that when you have a fucking amazing dream and tell people how amazing yer dream was, that they will give a fuck.

With very close friends, I can ask them to check out a new song that has blasted it's way onto my permanent life playlist, and they will exclaim about how cool it is, yeah, I am right, it is so cool...but they NEVER, start listening to that song on their own.
And the other way around.

I got heavily into K-Pop and Turkish Rap and I showed my favorite songs to everyone I know and they talked briefly about how "Yeah, that's cool. lol, that's so weird. Cool. Wicked. :up:" (and we are not the kind of friends who lie to be polite at all)

Years later, my one friend just told me that she has this K-Pop song stuck in her head. And it turns out it was not one of the ones I told her about. She never even checked out the ones I told her were awesome. SHE EVEN WATCHED DARK PLACE AND OFFERED NO COMMENT, AFTER I TOLD HER SHE HAD TO WATCH DARK PLACE!!!!!!!!

None of them jumped on the Turkish Rap band wagon.

My other friend fucking loves the new eminem and plays it all day and all night.

He showed it to me, and I explained why it sucks ballz, but pointed out the few undeniably cool (and brief) parts.

I will not listen to that shit, even though it has some genius stuff in it.

Let me explain how it works.
There's a reason there's a KISS Army, and then Everyone Else.
You do not get turned on to music and then turn your loved ones onto it.
You get turned on to music, and now, like it or not, you are in a small community of "Fans of That Music"...and you go to them to bro down about the music.
That is why WE fight about whether or not Captain America should have wings on his head in the movies, and my close friends and I, do not, even though they like Marvel Movies.
If the other fans are insufferable (KISS Army, Heavy Metal, Gangsta Rap, Hipster Rock, K-Pop, etc.) then, you are alone. You do not get to bro down very much.

And the notion that playing the same playlist over and over again for years, is "autism", is absurd. People think I'm autistic because I don't have an orgasm over food or sports, so, leaving me out of it...all music lovers I have ever known, have playlists they return to for years. :o:rolleyes:

In other words, no, you're not special.
You may be Best in the World, but you're not some rare music savant.
It's like this for tons of people.

I love,

Steve Miller
Black Sabbath
Annie Lennox
Turkish Rap
German Rap
K-Pop
Yes
King Crimson
Tin Machine
The Music From Final Fantasy 12
Die Antwoord
Heart
The Beatles
Marilyn Manson
Keith Green
Jethro Tull
Twizted
Wagner

Also, there are whole magazines devoted to fucking movie score fanatics, who hate Hans Zimmer like comic geeks hate Rob Liefeld, etc.
They listen to 80 minutes of ambient music like teenage girls listen to Miley.

your worst thread

:inlove: