PDA

View Full Version : Music listening habits

maxwell's demon
03-14-2013, 08:50 PM
Question, how many of you guys listen to albums straight through, and how often do you do that over shuffle/playlist/random music services?

How often through headphones? Computer? Stereo? Car?

Wilhelm
03-14-2013, 09:01 PM
I listen to a Paul song on my PS3.
That makes me want to listen to a Gene song.
After that I want to hear an Ace song and then before I stop listening to music, I' m like
"Why do I even have Catman songs ON here? :huh:"
and then I listen to a Catman song to figure out why.

Jake
03-14-2013, 09:18 PM
Car is 90% iPod. I have 3 or 4 CDs in there that I listen to if my iPod dies and I don't feel like listening to the radio. The selection of car CDs has kind of become perennial since college, generally being Kid A, In Rainbows, In the Aeroplane Over the Sea, and whichever Fleet Foxes album is newest. I had Conor Oberst's eponymous one in there forever too, but my little CD holder area is crammed as it is so I dropped it.

Sometimes I listen to my iPod when I walk to class. Any time I use my iPod, it's either a shuffle of everything or I just play through an album. I don't do playlists of select material to shuffle. Lately I've been listening to Viva Hate by Morrissey quite a bit.

At work I use Spotify exclusively, and usually I'm shootin' the shit about some tunes so my coworkers and I kind of play stuff back and forth using the search feature. Although, I do have almost everything I own on a Spotify playlist that I make sure to keep updated.

One of my buddies subscribes to Spotify and says he loves it, especially the radio feature. I can see the appeal of dropping those ads that play between every 4 or 5 songs, definitely.

Mee
03-15-2013, 01:43 AM
I listen in the car a lot, and I pretty much always have Pandora on when I'm at home doing homework or working out.

Don't use headphones much, just at the gym and the library.

The Amazing Lee
03-15-2013, 02:10 AM
Shuffle. I tend to put on an album, get through about 3-4 songs and then feel the need to change. If I am concentrating on something, like work, then I can probably listen to an album all the way through.

The Amazing Lee
03-15-2013, 02:10 AM
Mainly through headphones. I sometimes hook my laptop up to my guitar amp and blast music through there as well.

Mee
03-15-2013, 02:29 AM
When I'm on my iPod I have it on shuffle probably 95% of the time. Unless I'm going out of my way to listen to songs that have to go together, like the Abbey Road medley.

Dave
03-15-2013, 04:06 AM
I listen to albums straight through. When I get the urge to listen to, say Rush, I cannot just put on 2112, or Moving Pictures or Signals. I have to start with their first album and listen to every studio album.

When the tape deck in my car worked, I played my mp3 player through that. If there's not a game on when I get off work, I pop the headphones in. At work, I play my mp3 player through a stereo. At home, headphones. When I'm a pedestrian, headphones. At the store, headphones.

Jake
03-15-2013, 04:38 AM
oh yeah--at home I listen to records. I try to listen to one a day. I like to mute the TV on a basketball game or golf or something and listen to some music.

Dave
03-15-2013, 05:09 AM
I haven't mastered the TV with music thing. I do the reading with music

Jake
03-15-2013, 06:53 AM
well the TV thing is obvs only going to work with like, sports.

I don't really like reading with music 'cuz I feel like they're two things that require pretty deep attention and when I try to combine them I feel like I'm not fully engaging either one. It's not so bad with albums I know like the back of my hand, but I try to listen to stuff I'm not super familiar with a lot of times.

Wilhelm
03-15-2013, 03:23 PM
Ooh, female gymnastics....put on some Emerson Lake and Palmer...some Jefferson Airplane...

maxwell's demon
03-15-2013, 03:32 PM
well the TV thing is obvs only going to work with like, sports.

I don't really like reading with music 'cuz I feel like they're two things that require pretty deep attention and when I try to combine them I feel like I'm not fully engaging either one. It's not so bad with albums I know like the back of my hand, but I try to listen to stuff I'm not super familiar with a lot of times.
i definitely can't read if the music has vocals, lyrics.

Jake
03-15-2013, 05:41 PM
for sure

Daisy
03-15-2013, 07:45 PM
Question, how many of you guys listen to albums straight through, and how often do you do that over shuffle/playlist/random music services?

How often through headphones? Computer? Stereo? Car?
I can't remember the last time I listened to an album straight through. Even when I listen to one album/artist (which I do not infrequently), I tend to do it on shuffle... and I skip songs. And really it's more often listening to multiple albums by an artist than one album. I listen to Pandora most of the time at work, and in my car Sirius (Alt Nation or Iceberg usually - sometimes First Wave to get my 80s fix).

I stream through my phone (with those origami speakers that were featured on Shark Tank) at work. My car radio is Sirius (although sometimes I stream my own stuff off my Amazon account via bluetooth). When I'm at home, I hook my phone up to my stereo or play Pandora through Roku (which is hooked to the stereo) or sometimes play my iPod through a dedicated iPod player system... but that's kinda rare. I find myself using my iPod less and less... probably because everything that's on it is also on my Amazon account.

I listen to headphones on my commute on the train, but 99% of the time that's a book on tape (currently David Copperfield), not music.

I hadn't really stopped to think how much my listening habits have changed with digital music. When I was playing records and cassettes, I never skipped songs (and you couldn't shuffle by default) as it was too much effort. I also was never a mix-tape kinda girl, so I didn't "manually shuffle" either. Now, I never turn shuffle off.

equint77
03-15-2013, 07:56 PM
sometimes I look at my itunes playlist and I wonder where the hell I got that music from.

Jake
03-15-2013, 07:57 PM
What do you guys rip music at? 320?

Because since I only use my iPod to listen

1) In my car, with accompanying road noise, or
2) Through iPod earbuds while walking across campus

I just rip it at 128. My nice system at home only gets vinyl and CD played on it; I don't have an iPod hookup and I don't want to go to the effort of rigging it to accept my iPod. So I figure my car (which has a pretty nice speaker system actually, but again: noise) and those shitty iPod earbuds (which are actually WAY better since the redesign this gen, but still) aren't going to be able to deliver me a super hi-def listening experience anyway, so might as well rip at a lower bitrate to cram a bunch more songs in the 16GB of space.

kypade
03-15-2013, 09:27 PM
I either plug my old phone (which is basically just an ipod touch now) into the cd player of the car, or plug headphones into it.

But I've gotten really, really bad at listening to music. I'd say probably 75 percent of what I've listened to over the last yr is radio or npr.

Also I recently had a 32 gig microsd card stop working and most of my music was on that so my options are limited until I become not lazy enough to reload it.

kypade
03-15-2013, 09:28 PM
And I don't rip music any more, but I always yknow, buy it, at 192 or 320 (or generally v0 or whatever that basic variable one is called).

Wilhelm
03-15-2013, 09:32 PM
I stream through my phone (with those origami speakers that were featured on Shark Tank) at work. My car radio is Sirius (although sometimes I stream my own stuff off my Amazon account via bluetooth). When I'm at home, I hook my phone up to my stereo or play Pandora through Roku (which is hooked to the stereo) or sometimes play my iPod through a dedicated iPod player system... but that's kinda rare. I find myself using my iPod less and less... probably because everything that's on it is also on my Amazon account.

Haha I heard this in the voice of Patrick Bateman.

maxwell's demon
03-15-2013, 09:34 PM
i had to re-rip all my music when my last laptop fried itself. it was tedious. i used to do 160, but i wasn't paying attention and this stuff came it AAC so its all doublesized files. now i cant fit all my stuff on my ipod :down:

Jake
03-15-2013, 10:10 PM
yeah, like I say: if you're hooking a laptop or whatever up to a nice system in your place, ripping at 256 or 320 or whatever is cool. but on an ipod, it's like, whatever, i need the space.

maxwell's demon
03-15-2013, 10:41 PM
im really trying to get back to listening to albums, ive been doing the shuffle/playlist thing for too long, and i finally got my new receiver, hopefully gonna set it up on sunday. i used to listen to a few albums per week, nightly when i got home from work. it was like meditation. i fee like i just thought more clearly when i was in that habit. listening to them digital's fine too, but there's something about flipping to side two.

Jake
03-15-2013, 11:00 PM
It's easier to do with vinyl or CDs, in something that you don't have a remote control to fuck with.

1) we as humans are lazy fucks and won't get up to pick up a needle or hit a skip button
2) albums were actually made with the intent of being listened to as albums on older media.

I'm doin' some wood glue cleanings, going through a few hundred LPs I just fell into. Lot of good stuff. Got a '58 Sinatra album, Only the Lonely. Never really got into Sinatra before due to my parents only ever having Greatest Hits comps and my youthful apathy/borderline dislike of the whole "classic" or "vocal jazz" scene.

But this is pretty nice. A great bummer album.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Sinatra_Sings_for_Only_the_Lonely

Also got one called September of my Years, which is all songs about aging. Those two, and a couple Willie Nelson albums (Stardust and Somewhere Over the Rainbow) have me doing a week of pretty much nothing but Great American Songbook.

maxwell's demon
03-15-2013, 11:35 PM
i wanna pick up Watertown

Jake
03-16-2013, 12:42 AM
yeah. I have the two I've mentioned plus Strangers in the Night. I'd like to have In the Wee Small Hours and Watertown, after reading its wiki page the other day.

Jake
03-16-2013, 12:46 AM
Back to topic, I also have a weird thing where I treat the late 80s as my cutoff where I'm like "ok, this is a CD, not an LP." I think the "newest" album I have on vinyl is probably Flowers in the Dirt by McCartney. '90s stuff I have a lot of on CD--I went through a big phase ordering used CDs from amazon sellers for a buck or two each.

kypade
03-16-2013, 12:58 AM
I pretty much only want a record player to listen to nmh.

maxwell's demon
02-07-2016, 03:22 AM
anyone use EQ extensions in their browsers? I've got Ears audio toolkit now and it makes a big diff as long as you spend a second messing with it (and ignore the bass boost button).