PDA

View Full Version : Sufjan Stevens

ben
11-04-2010, 05:59 PM
The Age of Adz has been out for almost a month now. I wanted to wait awhile before really talking about it.

Wow, it is totally his best stuff. He has gone away from his softer/accoustic stuff to something that I think is pure genius. Impossible Soul? Man, one of the best new songs I have heard in ages. I saw him live at SMU a couple weeks ago and he played Adz in its entirety at that show. It really sounds better live, which may have an impact on how I view the album, but whatever...

Mr Sparkle
11-04-2010, 06:04 PM
I'm getting old, and I say this mostly because Sufjan has been less and less listened to at the Sparkle household.
I think he is getting a little stale, he is very versatile but I was unimpressed.
Now I have to give another listen and see what I can come up with, maybe I just get saturated with an artist I love sometimes, I really don't know why.

ben
11-04-2010, 06:08 PM
4LmO8kYZUjM

Check that out. He himself said he has been tired of the type of music he was making 5 years ago and has been desperate to branch out, but felt pressured into that genre.

jackrabbit
11-04-2010, 10:33 PM
I dunno. I've honestly never branched out my listening of his stuff other than Illinois, because I heard from several people it wouldn't get any better than that album.

I adore Illinois, it's a fantastic album and I never tire of it. That song you posted is intriguing, but it feels forced to me. All the distortion and ambient noise just detracts from the beautiful melodies this guy produces. But that's just me.

Mr Sparkle
11-05-2010, 12:51 AM
Ben convinced to listen to sufjan again, I liked enjoy your rabbit and this album seems like a more appropriate following to that, like he actually progressed.
wearing wings at his concert was still pretty faggy though.

Mr Sparkle
11-09-2010, 06:54 PM
Well I have to thank Ben.

I had pretty much given up on Sufjan Stevens, I mean, he was kind of what I thought was a hipster blip, far, very far off my radar.
what struck me about "The Age Of Adz" is how much it sounds like what I expect Sufjan to eventually sound after "enjoy your rabbit" seems like a more polished Dntel to me.
his lyrics though, almost always straddle the fence between ambiguous or a little to whiny to me. it's all that early 00's touchy-feely sound that was all the rage.
you can tell though that he and whoever was at the ready to help him out love music.
there's a palpable audiophile's sensitivity to the record and even with all the layers it manages to not go the way of saturated vanity projects.
now, I am fully aware that any and all critique of music is personal and based upon nothing BUT opinion, but I have to kind of kick myself about completely dismissing this dude.

well, I guess I have to go listen to that Adam Lambert cd now.

ben
03-08-2015, 03:21 PM
Sufjan's new album comes out later this month, but it already leaked. Someone posted that it leaked on reddit, and his record label posted in the thread basically saying "go ahead and download it and if you like it, buy it later".

http://www.reddit.com/r/indieheads/comments/2y7k82/leak_sufjan_stevens_carrie_lowell_has_leaked/

download link

https://mega.co.nz/#!9dN2BSIa!Wv6fB7HOD_wTJj0iT4fNgMrw9hhY1hFPBvrVKAa noTM

ben
03-08-2015, 04:17 PM
Hey, so this album is fucking great

Goku
03-08-2015, 05:48 PM
I should prob get back to listening to this I got like 3rd row tix. Brb.

Jake
03-08-2015, 07:40 PM
Sufjan's new album comes out later this month, but it already leaked. Someone posted that it leaked on reddit, and his record label posted in the thread basically saying "go ahead and download it and if you like it, buy it later".

http://www.reddit.com/r/indieheads/comments/2y7k82/leak_sufjan_stevens_carrie_lowell_has_leaked/

download link

https://mega.co.nz/#!9dN2BSIa!Wv6fB7HOD_wTJj0iT4fNgMrw9hhY1hFPBvrVKAa noTM

dope thx ben

Jake
03-08-2015, 07:41 PM
i have a sufjan t-shirt. try to keep up, assassin.

Jake
03-11-2015, 11:39 PM
listening to the new album for like the fifth time. could be a real important album for someone currently experiencing depression or loss but i can't get too into it on an emotional level myself. every vocal is double-tracked & kinda hazy, which goes a lil too far past presenting a united sound and starts to feel monotonous. reminds me of some of the bummer tunes from the Illinois outtakes album...one song is pretty much a rewrite of John Wayne Gacy Jr. i consider this a lesser album than his previous one. wish he would do something a lil more ebullient again at this point.

tl;dr the new Sufjan is ok but i can't vibe with it 2 hard but i will listen 2 it more just in case

ben
03-12-2015, 03:52 AM
I absolutely love it, but I'm a huge Elliott Smith fan, and it reminds me a ton of his stuff.

Jake
03-12-2015, 04:42 AM
i would give it a 7. still enjoyable 2 me as a huge suf fan, but i don't think it's gonna end up in his top 5 albums by the time his career is over. if we're ranking right now...

1) Age of Adz
2) Illinois
3) Michigan
4) Carrie & Lowell/Seven Swans toss-up?

it's still dope just not DOPE dope

ben
02-26-2016, 02:10 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQRsiNX9LR8

Goku
02-26-2016, 03:16 AM
my brother was telling me something about this record today, i dunno was it a misprint version he got or something? i dunno i tune him out sometimes.

Goku
02-26-2016, 03:23 AM
ohh lol he got 2, one for me. sweet

ben
02-26-2016, 03:23 AM
I read somewhere that the label printed the label with a typo or something.

Goku
02-26-2016, 03:28 AM
from the preorder site on the link on the video

"We pressed 2,000 Chicago-city-flag star-shaped 12" singles of a demo version of "Chicago" for the Blue Marvel edition of Illinois, but made an error: we printed 45 RPM on the label instead of the correct 33RPM. "I made a lot of mistakes." We're now selling these separately and hope you enjoy (at 33RPM)."

ben
01-23-2018, 02:40 PM
ACADEMY AWARD NOMINEE SUFJAN STEVENS

Jake
01-25-2018, 11:04 PM
didja guys here his Tonya Harding song

PUvVjWR3zTQ