PDA

View Full Version : The Sopranos

A really nice butterscotch pudding
10-09-2012, 04:42 PM
So my local library is full of HBO shows and video games and shit. So I go there sometimes when I don't feel like torrenting The Avengers for a full week at work. Last week, I picked up season one of Sopranos. I've never seen it before. I'd like to share my thoughts with you fine people.

Things Sopranos Have Taught Me:

If you have an Italian character, 50% of their dialogue must involve "Italians invented ____". 25% must involve discussion of The Godfather or, in extreme cases, Godfather II.
Italian women are manipulative cunts. No exceptions.
If you can't think of what to write, devote a 12 minute scene to what a character arc is.
All Italians hate Italian stereotypes. But they full embrace those stereotypes as well.
Despite wearing tracksuits everyday, Italians cannot outrun bullets.
Making your executioner run through poison ivy is especially bad for you.
If your 80 year old boyfriend enjoys going down on your 75 year old ancient vagina, do not brag about this at the salon. Italians frown on this. That will get you a pie in the face.
Italians also believe eating pussy makes you a faggot.
If you are an overweight Italian cappo on drugs, you are allowed to survive what is clearly an impossible to survive attempt on your life if the hit is carried out by two black guys. Because you're Italian.
Fat 13 year old Italian boys will never make compelling tv. Ever.
Italian women are sluts for the lord's messengers.
If your uncle looks like Larry David's dad, he probably wants to kill you.
You can fuck whoever you want, as long as you're not a soccer coach. Cause you know, then it's immoral.
It is acceptable for Italian men in 1999 to have a unibrow. Sweaters with blazers are acceptable too.
Italian Americans are really obsessed with Italian culture, despite having never been to Italy.
Gabagool is fucking important.

This show is okay. I don't get the hype. The college episode was pretty good though. I'll probably finish the show within a month or two.

10-20-2012, 02:18 AM
I finished season 3 the other day.

Random thoughts again despite no one caring:

Tony should not have gotten that hot Mercedes selling slut. Sure she was cray, but c'mon. He's fat as shit.
I'm pretty okay with Big Pussy getting shot. He never really added anything to the crew.
Tony's lucid dreams are pretty good.
Christopher is alright. But anytime the show reverts to his screenwriter dreams, the show becomes absolute shit, even with naked Alicia Witt. I also didn't care for how they set up his drug abuse then he's just like oh I'm clean. Hope it comes back.
Paulie is suddenly causing all these problems, acting too arrogant and bitching constantly. The fucked between season 2 and 3? I enjoy him boning Carla though.
That psychic episode when Christopher was in the hospital was really weird. It was good, it just didn't fit with the rest of the show.
major lolz at the black boyfriend subplot that went nowhere.
That rape episode was pretty solid, but it was obvious where they were gonna go with it. Also, really weak way to try to give Melfi some depth, but then again, anytime you do a rape story, you know what's going to play out.
I like the legit Italian gangster being in the crew. His eyesore euro clothing is hilarious. He's always got a good one liner too.
Tony is an atrocious dresser. It's 2002. Dude's still wearing a turtle neck. C'mon.
Did they really kill off Gigi on the crapper? This show can be really juvenile sometimes.
Holy shit, Janice really pisses me off. Amazing foil. Is she trying to bone Cypher now? Haha, gross.
The way they handled Richie's death was fantastic. I did not see that coming. How fucking old is that dude anyway? He looked 90. Am I supposed to believe this dude has a few year difference with Tony. God, him fucking Janice was terrifying. :dood:
Why didn't Meadow go to Berkley if she got in? That's all she talked about in season one.
Tony's mom got horny when she got free meat. hahahha what.
The dude that shot Christopher looked like Corey Matthews.
Are any characters from the Aprile family worth watching? Fuck Jackie. Glad he went out in a bitch way. I don't know why Tony didn't off him himself.
Mother fuckin Artie Buco. He really trying to bone someone trashy as she is hot as Adriana? That bald fuck haha.
The fake titties everywhere is not as hot as it was when I was a child. I think I've grown up.

Dead Danson
10-20-2012, 02:21 AM
Season 3 was pretty weak.

10-20-2012, 02:28 AM
Yeah, 2 had a clear arc.

3, its like.... what is the point. The second to last episode has that russian stuff where it's like oh i guess they're gonna try to do some major conflict without any real build up and none of that factors into the season finale.

For me at the moment it's 2>1=3

1 had a clear story arc, but they were still kinda figuring out what the show was. 3 had good characterization but nothing happened.

10-22-2012, 02:38 AM
Season 4 thoughts:

That season finale was amazing. Best episode of the series so far. Edie Falco killed it in all those scenes. Dem separation scenes.
AJ is the worst character on the show. He couldn't possibly matter less. And his gf is way too hot for him. That ep that focused on how rich she is? Ugh. Fucking why.
Ralphie's death was.... lame. It felt like they wanted it to be shocking like Richie's, but personal since Tony was the one to do it. But considering all the shit he pulled, to do it over the horse, very unsatisfying.
Ralphie's last ep was really good though. I got some feels when his son was in the hospital. Even if he wants a cheese grater to his dick.
Adrianna really stepped up as a character. Wish I didn't know she gets wacked.
The ep where Tony finds out his girl on the side committed suicide had major feels too. The dream sequence where she had that scarf on.... damn. One of their best eps.
I like Johnny Sacks. I also like how he loves his 5 ton wife.
Really glad they brought Christopher's drug use back.
hahaha fucking Gob Bluth? his wife is hot though
This Janice-Bobby thing, no. Sure he's dumb as shit, but he just seems too kind hearted to get with her. How long was his wife dead anyway? Like 3 weeks before she's yelling at him that she's here and his wife isn't?
Loved that Tony fucked the one legged Russian and that's what causes the divorce.
Mother fuckin Artie Buco. Bitch of the Year, All Years. That scene where he plays out beating up the French dude and ends up getting his ass kicked then tries to kill himself? hahaha Loved when he hid like a bitch in the car during the Columbus protest after talking tough hahaha fuck you, Buco

equint77
10-25-2012, 03:12 AM
HboGo has the entire series.. I need to get on that.

Faustus
10-25-2012, 03:23 AM
I could never get into this. Italian stuff kind of bugs me.

equint77
10-25-2012, 03:51 AM
Go visit bay ridge in brooklyn or arthur avenue in the bronx hahaha.

Spoons
10-25-2012, 04:51 AM
Gunther, can't wait till u get to the finale. Prepare to rage.

10-25-2012, 06:20 AM
I dunno, Spoons. I just finished the season 6 premiere, and it ended with the abrupt cut to black just like the series finale did.

FORESHADOWSSSSS

equint77
10-26-2012, 01:35 AM
Or the writers really started running out of ideas.. God i remembered when i worked at hbo corporate.. Best and easiest 7 years of my life :(

10-26-2012, 06:57 PM
Season 5 Thoughts

Clerk told me this season was bad. It was pretty entertaining honestly. I'd say... 4>2>5>3=1
10/10 opening when the mistress catches on fire out of nowhere. Seconds before I was hoping Tony would shoot her. This is better.
That lucid dream episode was amazing. Hands down one their best episodes and the best of season 5.
Major lolz at lonely Tony. Trying to fuck Melfi, Charmaine and call up anyone who'd listen at 3am. Classic.
Adrianna was pretty great this season. Dat death scene, silvio not giving a fuck, perfect.
All this Jersey/NY stuff, its okay. I like Johnny Sacks, but there were times where I think it took too much time up.
I'm liking the minor subplot of Angie's rise with the car shop. She's making moves, I dig it.
Bobby married Janice? That fat fuck, moron.
Junior thinking he's Larry David was pretty amazing.
Junior in general stepped up his game this season. "Don't you love me?" Major feels.
I felt really bad for Carmella this season. I thought bringing her back to Tony was a major mistake. Undos all that was so great about the season 4 finale.
AJ & Meadow continue to be terrible characters who automatically bring down episodes they have major focus in.
The Tim Daly episode was hilarious. Imma beat the shit out of you till you get me my money but I have faith that you get back on your feet! hahah
Tony wants to bang his dad's 80 year old mistress and listens to Linkin Park. And he calls everyone else faggots.
Speaking of faggots, Vito's RISEEEE. Sucking off a security guard and trying to bone Finn, haha, amazing
Dat Adrianna/Tony Car Crash episode. 10/10 scene, should have killed christopher, that junkie fuck.
"Sacreblu, where is me mama?" hahahaahaa this is hands down the funniest season yet. I love it.
Really... A bear? Yeah, I get it, the bear represents Tony and how he'll always be present in the family's affairs, but c'mon.
I feel really bad for Steve Buscemi. Not cause hes so ugly, but I was really hoping he could go straight. Really tragic character.

Draven
10-26-2012, 07:17 PM
Is season 5 also the season where Robert Loggia shows up? It's a shame his character wasn't around for too long :(

10-26-2012, 07:24 PM
Yeah, Feech La Mana. He didn't do shit beside fight with Paulie over a lawnmower's jurisdiction.

10-28-2012, 05:24 PM
So I finished this. I don't really know what I think about the finale. It was pretty powerful stuff and I don't know why.

Season 6

Very, very strong finish for the show although the whole AJ suicide subplot was awful. He doesn't want to die after getting new pussy. Fucking revelation :rolleyes:
The show had an amazing build up. The tension that just lingered through the whole season, I can't accept any scenario where Tony didn't die. And it doesn't matter that peace was made and Phil was taken out. Tony's still at the top. Look at the sheer amount of death this season. He should have died in the premiere. I think the ending was about correcting his fate.
I can see why some people see the second to last episode of the show as the real finale. It was so odd to see Melfi's relationship with Tony just end like that. After all that time, she's just out. Very unsatisfying even if it did make sense.
Man. Bobby was a big highlight this season. Maybe its because he was just an insanely nice guy, but the Lakehouse episode and his death really stayed with me. Dem trains, dawg.
Finn's just gone. Okay. Whatever, Meadow doesn't matter. I did think that it was a pretty interesting idea that no matter how much she rises, she'll always be seen as less than her worthless brother.
Tim Daly man. Did he really have to go out like that. C'mon. He's Superman. And Wings!
Vito and Johnny Cakes. Lolz were had. Especially their brokeback moment in the field. And Vito took it in the ass. Ha, I loved it. I did feel really bad for him though. Not necessarily his situation, but the reason why he was murdered.
Cleaver just suddenly gets made. Good move, I hate that metatextual shit that dominated this show.
Christopher was just kinda there this season. And his death, while shocking, was unfulfilling. He just marries this bisch, who we've never met before, gets his lawn run over, then relapses like 12 times, and gets into an accident. PS, that bisch was Bruce Banner's mom in the good Hulk movie and Kay from Mad Men. What a chameleon!
Dream sequences are always a highlight on this show. The coma eps were no exception.
Seeing Junior how he ended up, a pathetic old man getting beat up by Miles from L O S T, was tragic. He was the second best character on the show, and how he didn't even remember "that thing of ours".....man.
Dat last scene. Tense as fuck. Did the dude at the counter shoot him? Probably. It's an odd feeling, as this was the first scene I ever actually saw of the Sopranos. But I gotta say, my heart was racing even though I knew what was gonna happen. All these hours invested, was I going to see something there? I don't know if I did. But after I came back home from a night of partying, I had to watch it again. The whole time I was out partying and drinking I was really thinking about this show. And what happens when you die. Shit was weird, yo.

Overall, I'd say this was a good show. Extremely overrated and full of characters that contribute nothing. But those actual Sopranos, Junior, Tony, Janice, their mother. That was one fucked up family.

Marone!

equint77
07-07-2013, 10:27 PM
With hbogo available on apple tv now i can watch the entire series along with every hbo show. :up:

equint77
07-08-2013, 01:49 PM
watched the first 3 episodes last night and started to notice tons of actors from goodfellas were in this show. Obviously not talking about Melfi.

Pauley Walnuts was at the beginning of goodfellas when young henry used to stare at the store where the gangster hung out at. He's the first dude to step out of the car.

One of the goons at the bada bing was also the restaurant manager in goodfellas who gets a bottle broken over his head by Joe Pesci.

The old jew who asks Tony to get rid of his son in law was Murray the dude who owned the wig shop.

07-09-2013, 01:21 AM
michael imperioli was in goodfellas too

he's the kid that gets shot in the foot then killed by pesci

equint77
07-09-2013, 01:23 AM
Spider!! Jesus. I cant believe i forgot to mention him. Ugh. Ive seen that movie maybe 1000 times :faint:

equint77
07-10-2013, 01:12 PM
I watched episode 4 a few nights ago where Tony is taking Meadow on college interviews and runs into a mob informant.

Pretty good episode with tony having the talk with meadow in the car about his mob affliation. And Carmella and the priest.

I remember the one time when I was working at HBO and big pussy was stopping by... there was a woman screaming down the hall "big pussy is in the bathroom!!!"

haha.

equint77
07-12-2013, 04:55 PM
Just watched the episode where Chris goes into the pastry store and shoots the dude in the foot (reference to Goodfellas when his character spider gets shot in the foot)... and says "it happens".

:up:

Draven
07-12-2013, 08:12 PM
Wasn't the actor who played Gay Vito in that scene playing a different character?

equint77
07-12-2013, 08:34 PM
Wasn't the actor who played Gay Vito in that scene playing a different character?

Yeah, i noticed that.. I remember him from the later seasons. I guess they created a character for him cause chris shoved him out of the pastry shop like he was nothing.

equint77
07-16-2013, 01:24 PM
In just over a week I'm onto season 3 already. Just got passed the ep Melfi gets raped.

And Jackie Jr is such a toolbag. I hope he gets clipped.

equint77
07-18-2013, 02:02 PM
I'm in the middle of season 3 now and 2 things..

1 - Meadow gained a bit of weight between season 2 & 3.

2 - Jackie Jr is a complete douche pretending to be part of the mob by promising all sorts of shit and asking for favors. I can't wait till they get rid of him.

3 - I'm starting to realized why James Gandolfini was praised so much as T.S. He makes the character extremely likable despite the fact that he commits every crime imaginable. Like when he was watching the movie Public Enemy and how happy he was just laying on the couch watching TV. Or when he jokes with his crew.

equint77
08-05-2013, 01:02 AM
Just finished watching the last ep. Even more of a letdown considering the way the last few episodes went down. And where do we get left off? Tony might face trial cause one of his men flipped, again! Did little carmine finally take over the NY mob?

game of thrones is next